Putting down dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to hear what you are facing.

I won't stop having dogs as pets, even if the end can be hard. They need us too, even if it is for a short while. Do you only make friends with people who will outlive you ?

There are many dog friendly hotels nationwide, even chains, and some make allowances if the dog is certified as a therapy dog. Maybe that's an option for you. It is interesting and rewarding work.

I had a tough time when we put down my Shepard Mix. He was the best dog. Silent; hardly barked. Very protective and would eye-F people to let them know he was on duty.

I finally got over it when I realized a lot of dogs need love, and that I do the best I can to provide.

We picked up a Rottweiler (1yr. old) and he is 125 lbs. of boyfriend for my wife! Very passionate and relentless energy. Got to love them.

It's not easy to go through this.

On the other hand, I think it's the least painful way to go for the dog and owners in the long run.

Case in point. My in-laws keep Great Danes. They pumped unreal amounts of dollars (that they don't have) into the last two when they were old and very sick, feeling too bad to put them down.

Twice I had to go over and help them load a dying and incapacitated 200lb+ dog into the car to take them in. On the last trip, the poor dog passed as my BIL and I got her into the car. IMO, that was tougher than anything and didn't need to be.

I find it hard to even post in threads like this. My dogs are family to me and my current husky is the best dog I have ever had in my life and he is 10 years old now and I know that the time with him is limited. As bad as I feel after losing a dog I simply have to get another. I find one to rescue and enjoy that dog as much as I can and I think the dog rescues me rather than me rescuing them.

I had to put my beloved Janet down this year and it may have been the hardest thing in my life so far.

She was my best friend and far and away the most wonderful dog I ever had. I cried for 3 days, my poor Wife even missed some work due to her grief!

But life marches on, I now have a 5 month old Blue Tic Coonhound and a 9 month old American Staffordshire Terrier I got from the SPCA locally.

The sad thing is everything dies, you just have to accept it. You do NOT have to like it...

My heart goes out to all those that have had to put down their beloved furry friends. We currently have three awesome and much loved strays that we've adopted thru the years. I don't even want to imagine the day that we have to put them down, I know it's inevitable and don't really know how I will react.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's not easy to go through this.

On the other hand, I think it's the least painful way to go for the dog and owners in the long run.

Case in point. My in-laws keep Great Danes. They pumped unreal amounts of dollars (that they don't have) into the last two when they were old and very sick, feeling too bad to put them down.

Twice I had to go over and help them load a dying and incapacitated 200lb+ dog into the car to take them in. On the last trip, the poor dog passed as my BIL and I got her into the car. IMO, that was tougher than anything and didn't need to be.

I've known people like this too, trying to save the dog no matter how sick or old it is...in reality, this is a sign of selfishness, keeping the dog alive as long as possible when they have a terminal illness and/or are old only serves to make the dog miserable for the remaining time it has. Our dog that is terminally ill is 12 years old, so we decided why put him through h e double hockey sticks for the remainder of his life and throw away thousands of $$ when he isn't going to live anyway. It's still just as hard to put him down, but at least he can enjoy (and we can too) the little bit of time he has left...

Grampi

I'm sorry for your loss. My dog is my best friend. When the day comes that he's called I will shed a tear and mourn the loss.
I know it's a cliché but it's better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all right.
I know when my best friend is called I'll be looking for my new best friend. A new dog will fill the void

I'm crying as I type this....reading these posts has been emotional for me.

It reminds me of Rocco, a pit bull I found shot and throw in my yard in Indianapolis one Sunday morning. I grabbed shovel to pick him up and throw him in the dumpster, when he growled at me.

Months of healing. Part of his lower jaw missing. When the vet sewed his neck back together, they found a piece of cable buried all the way around his neck.

He was the best dog ever. Most loyal, loving, fun, and easy going dog I ever met....unless you were up to no good. I put him down 2 years ago. Still miss him dearly. It gets easier, but the pain is never gone.

Last edited:
It was two weeks ago today I had to have one of my Greyhounds put down.

No Joke Shakira was an Irish ex-racer who we adopted when she was 4 years old so our other ex-racer, Tullyvin Judge, could have a fiend and some company.

About a month ago she started limping, checked her paws and they seemed ok so I left it to the next day to see if she was any different. Next morning she was worse so I too her to the vet for an X-ray. Anyone who knows greyhounds will know they are very soft and very sensitive, so I didnt expect anything to be wrong with her. After the vet looked at the X-ray he said there was no cancer, no arthritis, no broken bones, he gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and a course of glucosamine tablets.
Her limp seemed to ease off over the next few days, to the point that she was almost walking normally so I thought it she was better.

The day after she finished her tablets I came down in the morning to let them both into the garden to have a wee - Tully jumped up and ran outside, Shakira tried to get up but the minute she tried to move her leg she collapsed and started screaming - I ran to the car to put the back seats down and when I ran back in to pick her up and take her to the car she'd wet her bed because of the pain. The vet said it was nerve damage and that nothing could be done, and as she lay on his table howling in pain I held her and I cried.
I could tell the drug was working because her cries turned to whimpers and her breathing slowed right down and then it was the end.

I miss her and Tully misses her too, and tomorrow were going to the rehoming centre to look for new friend to keep us company on our walks.

It's terrible when they pass, but they have short lives. It's upto us to make sure those lives are the best they can be. A life without dogs would feel empty.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I probably will be the odd one here, but my family and myself never treated pets as family members. They were well taken care of and never abused, but never treated on the same level as a human being.

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on a farm. If I was sad every time an animal died it would have been a horrible childhood.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I probably will be the odd one here, but my family and myself never treated pets as family members. They were well taken care of and never abused, but never treated on the same level as a human being.

Nope, not the only one. I grew up on a farm. If I was sad every time an animal died it would have been a horrible childhood.

I too was raised on a farm. But we were smart enough to know the difference between livestock and family pets.

Kind words all....

My beloved Harley. Our 12 1/2 year old Great Dane. He's a very, very old man for a Great Dane. His blood tests shows cancer (high calcium levels). He feels good most days (for an old guy), but twice in the last 6 weeks he's been really ill for 4 or 5 days. The next illness cycle is strike 3.

I loathe the thought. He is a dear friend.

Scott

Olas I know what you went through, my last dog was an ex racing Greyhound. He got old (16yrs) and I put him down, passed with me holding him. I've had many dogs through out the years and all were wonderful but the Greyhound was the best, clean, gentle and very loyal. Anyone looking for a dog I highly recommend they rescue one of the rejected racing Greyhounds, IMO you won't regret doing so.

Through most of my life our family had several dogs and cats. We had to have a few 'put down' as they say and it is really hard. It is almost like losing a family member, because you get very close to a dog.

I loved all of the dogs and cats, but I think the hardest of all was when our Doberman died. He died right in the back yard. I could actually see the spark of life leave his eyes. Just like I saw the spark of life leave the eyes of a man who died of a massive heart attack on a street in the city.

That is something else that convinces me there is a soul. That spark of life that leaves at death.

And it made me reflect on when my own death will come.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find it interesting that some people who have had near death experiences, relate seeing past pets again. Whether this real or a function of our brains , it gives some comfort. I tend to think its real.

I do too, and can you imagine the joy of being with all of your loved ones (including your dogs) after we pass?

I did have a dream about our Doberman after he died. It was almost like a message. That has happened to me also after various people have died.

We love our animals, but they aren't people...we would do almost anything for our animals, but here's the difference...if my wife, or one of our daughters became ill, I would spend every penny I have, even go as far as selling everything I own to save them if I had to...I wouldn't do that for an animal...

We had 2 Newfoundlands that passed away a year apart. The male was 9 and the female was 13. Just found them "sleeping" in the yard. I had to witness our Siamese cat getting put down a few years ago.. that was rough.

No more dogs for the 'rents either, but we keep getting stuck with outside cats. We have 4 now. Strays, adoptions etc. They get fixed though.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find it interesting that some people who have had near death experiences, relate seeing past pets again. Whether this real or a function of our brains , it gives some comfort. I tend to think its real.

I do too, and can you imagine the joy of being with all of your loved ones (including your dogs) after we pass?

I did have a dream about our Doberman after he died. It was almost like a message. That has happened to me also after various people have died.

The night after we put our last dog down this past April, my wife told me she felt a cold nose touch her hand and it woke her up...she sat up in bed and saw that our two dogs were both sound asleep...I told this to one of my coworkers and he said it was probably the dog we just put down thanking her for ending his suffering...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back