Putting a data file into a DVD Root Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies if I am using the incorrect terminology.

I have a DVD player that needs a software update. The instructions tell me to download a file from the manufacturer's website:

LG Software Update Site

(under the Support button in the "Download" section on the right)

The instructions JPG that I can't locate at the moment instructs me to put the downloaded file in the "Root Directory" of a DVD then play the DVD on the DVD player. I have a few questions about this after trying this what seems like several hundred times.

1. The downloaded file is a zip file that extracts to a " .ROM" file. Do I put the "ROM" file in the Root Directory, or do I leave it as a ZIP file?

2. How do I make sure the file is in the Root Directory using Nero Express?

3. How do I tell after I have burned the DVD if I have been successful in putting the update file in the Root Directory?

Thanks in advance. LG support will not answer the above questions, but just keeps telling me to take the unit to the authorized service center to be updated. An answer to these questions could save me a few trips across town, and an afternoon I won't have to take off work to make the 3 day old device work as it should.

Most likely you need to unzip the file before burning it onto the blank CD or DVD.

If you don't create any folders in Nero, then it'll automatically be put in the root directory. You just might have to make sure that the disc is being burned as a "data disc" not a typical Video/DVD.

Another option - since this device seems to have a USB port, you might try to put this ROM file on a portable USB drive (thumb drive) and see if the player recognizes it from there.

I would imagine you need to put the .ROM file on the DVD. I suspect the player is programmed to look for such files and if it finds them, executes the code which updates the players ROM.

In Nero, you should be able to drag the .ROM file, once extracted from the ZIP to the list of files to be written to the DVD, and as long as you've not grabbed the parent directory when you do your drag and drop, it should be in the root directory.

How do you tell it's successful? Exit NERO, eject the DVD, re-insert it in your computer and it should be in the "root" directory of that drive.

So if your DVD drive is the E: drive, you should see in the E:\ folder your .ROM file.

Hope this helps

Thanks gang. I will try again. I did it with the USB using nothing but the ROM file on the USB drive - no luck. Then I tried with the Zip file on the USB drive - no luck.

I kind of think the software is not in the form that the DVD player will recognize. I predict leaving it at the LG authorized repair depot while they try to do it unsuccessfully.

You've got it right - Take the .rom file and place it on the dvd - not an any folder. Then I guess the player will know what to do from there. In nero express open a new data dvd and just drop the .rom file in the window. That will be the root. The root of a drive is where you are before you get into any folders (directories). They call it the root because the directory structure is often visualized as a tree and the base of the structure is the 'root.'

Also try different brand of blank media. Some players have difficulty reading certain discs. It's rare, but if all else fails...

Thanks everyone. I will try all of these things. I did same with USB drive with no luck.

Trying to watch the "Gomorrah" DVD, and my new DVD player doesn't show the Subtitles. Apparently the software update will fix this. The DVD player is web enabled and could update that way, but I haven't finished the CAT 5 wiring in our mechanical room out to the media cabinet yet.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Thanks everyone. I will try all of these things. I did same with USB drive with no luck.

Trying to watch the "Gomorrah" DVD, and my new DVD player doesn't show the Subtitles. Apparently the software update will fix this. The DVD player is web enabled and could update that way, but I haven't finished the CAT 5 wiring in our mechanical room out to the media cabinet yet.

Why not just carry the DVD player over next to your router or computer and plug in the network cable and do the update then? Seems a lot easier than messing with DVDs.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: Jim 5

Why not just carry the DVD player over next to your router or computer and plug in the network cable and do the update then? Seems a lot easier than messing with DVDs.

I will probably end up doing it that way. It won't be the easiest as I'll have to get a TV in there too. The easiest would be to put a file in the root directory of a USB device, a CD Rom or a DVD and load it onto the DVD player as instructed. None of this works.

It is either that or a trip to the service depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back