Put the GC in today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I changed the oil and filter on the wife's Aztec today. Changed out the Havoline 5w-30 and put in the GC. It's the GC Gold, not the green. Impression right off the bat was good. Nothing near the start up clatter with the GC as I have had with Mobil 1 in the past. Seemed to quite down the valve train considerably. Got to hand it to Havoline that I changed out. That stuff came out looking very good.

Hi Rob,

I recently made my first purchase of GC. I found 21 quarts at a local AZ and took all of them. I'm going to try it in two new Honda Civic LXs.

It is so highly regarded here that I figure, why not try it?

Good luck on the Aztec.....

You have never used the oil before amd bought 21 quarts?
freak2.gif

you know, stc, you are going to have a beaut of a scar on your head...come on over to the green/gold side...it doesn't hurt...in fact, it is quite mellow..you might even say a "golden mellow"...
wink.gif

The Elvish ones keep calling to you
It pains them to see just what you do
Banging and smacking and pulping your pate
Come on to The Green Side before it's too late!

What does this GC look like? Is this something different than Castrol GTX? What is the price difference? When we say "green" and "gold", is that the color of the oil or the bottles they come in?

quote:

Can't figure out why they would position new stock in front of old stock?

And then there are those of us that have a spouse imposed stash limit of 136 qts GC Green who have in some AZ's rearranged the good vintage GC green behind the USA made 0w30 so that when the, she who must be obeyed, stash limit is lifted or breaking the limit will cause a tolerable level of marital strife, the GC green will be where for the taking.
grin.gif

Nice pscholteian run on sentence huh?
wink.gif

quote:

Nice pscholteian run on sentence huh?

Run on sentence? Oh, a_g, you have cut me to the veritable quick, that is to say the essential essence of my core being, causing me great consternation, trepidation, invalidation, not to mention great intestinal discomfort and mental anguish probably culminating in an identity extrusion if not a psychological incongruence. I shall probably not post again for a good minute to a minute and a half because of this post-post perturbation.

GC is a verson of Castrol Syntec made in Germany that comes only in the 0W-30 grade. We are quite sure that the early versions, that were green in color, were Castrol SLX sold around the world (but until 2002, not in the US). It has a number of solid ACEA ratings (e.g. A3/B3) and other key "Euroratings" like BMW LL-01 and various VW and MB ratings. The Gold, I believe, is SLX LongTec, which adds the MB 299.5 rating for long drain intervals. The color refers to the color of the oil; the bottles are the standard Syntec black bottles. To be GC, the oil MUST be 0W-30 and it MUST say "Made in Germany" on the back label. In the US it is available ONLY at Autozone, whereas in Canada it is available at least 2 places I know of: Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire. It is supremo stuff.

Pscholte,

Rest assured I got the GC at Auto Zone. It has Made in Germany on the back label and it is the 0w-30. Only it is the Gold, not the Green. Checked Auto Zone yesterday and found that the had restocked the GC. Funny thing is they put the new Europeon Formula GC in front of the older stock GC. Can't figure out why they would position new stock in front of old stock?

Is the new Europeon Formula the Katrina blend? If so is it the same as the Gold GC? Still has Made in Germany on the new bottles.

Rob,

Autozone seems to use the FILO method of stocking, so what you are describing is not unusual. It doesn't make sense but serves those of us well that are looking for each new development with GC. I think the only thing that has changed in relation to Katrina is the packaging. I am confidant you are getting the same oil you would have had Katrina never happened.

Went with a friend to an autozone tonight to get 6 quarts of GTX for his car. I looked over and saw a whole row of GC maybe 25 deep in katrina packaging saying european formula. And then i walked out. Huh!
tongue.gif

The European formula bottle says on the back something about the formula being complementary with ILSAC GFII and GFIII ratings. No mention of GFIV or more. What gives with that? Where is the Elvish super-Pao base oil? Maybe the MB, VW, Porsche and other Euro auto manufacturers don't spec. higher grade base oils? ????

I looked on the back of the GC gold bottles I have in my garage (M0502xxx) and there is no mention of any GF ratings on these.

I'm confused about/by this language on the new Euro. formula bottles. Is this oil really GC Gold? Or is the Euro. formula oil yet another formula change for GC? Or is GC Gold nothing more than a GFII/GFIII blend?
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Or is GC Gold nothing more than a GFII/GFIII blend?

Why should we care if it conforms to ILSAC GF-4 Minimum Performance Standard since the oil conforms to other much tougher standards?

[ January 17, 2006, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

Quote:
"Rest assured I got the GC at Auto Zone. It has Made in Germany on the back label and it is the 0w-30. Only it is the Gold, not the Green. Checked Auto Zone yesterday and found that the had restocked the GC. Funny thing is they put the new Europeon Formula GC in front of the older stock GC. Can't figure out why they would position new stock in front of old stock?"
Actually, those retail displays are designed to FIFO, if the Zoners would correctly load the display from the back. BTW, still lots of green in and around the Saint Louis area. I have counted over 30 quarts recently.. in back of the new Euro bottles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back