Put my dog down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by Dave9
The best way to get over it is get a rambunctious puppy that gets into everything so you are preoccupied with that. It's not a replacement, but it is the beginning of a new relationship and a lot of dogs need homes.

I can't as we have another dog that isn't receptive to puppies. She's grieving as well. She hasn't moved all day...
Another dog?! At least you have another dog to keep you company. The worst is coming home to an empty house or seeing a similar dog to yours.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I've been there a few times. Dogs are great companions, and their loss is very painful.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had the courage to not let him suffer any longer.

They really do become family members. Our little pooch brings so much joy to our home.

We've had to do this thing 2x, and have our 3rd dog now...good question on why do we subject ourselves to this, so optional, so hard to explain to those who have not enjoyed a pet.

Companion animals make most of us into better people. They make most of us healthier in mind and body. I have this silly pillow in our living room, it has " I want to become the person my dog thinks I am" this gets to me on a level that some people can't relate to...who cares.

I feel for your loss. It is right to grieve, and some day you will get another animal and be glad & smile for the 9 years you shared with Brutus.

sincere condolences. I think it's difficult for folks who don't have pets to really understand, but without question it's one of the hardest things to go through in life. I lost a 14 year old about a year ago, and it still stings. Time heals all wounds though, and is spirit now lives on in the small bundle of energy that's been running around the house the last couple few months. Good luck getting through it.

It's so sad that bigger breeds usually live shorter lives. Our Lab/Shepard mix beat the odds and made it to 14 before cancer got him this spring.

You subject yourself to it repeatedly because the total amount of happiness they give you is more than the pain of their loss, even though it doesn't feel that way right now. Still, there's no question that anyone who brings a dog into their lives is setting themselves up for an eventual heartache.

I didn't want to read this but I did. I had to put my beloved 14 year old dog over the rainbow a year ago and it still grieves me.

I know what your family is going through. I still can't replace my Buddy.
[Linked Image]

So sorry to hear that.

Subject to the grief repeatedly? Yeah, we didn't. Granted we had a child coming when we lost out cat to a blood clot, but we've not replaced her.

Again, so sorry. So painful.

losing a pet is losing part of your insides..Put extra thought and energy into your beautiful Children . Time helps get it better,,. that being said I miss everyone of my dogs and two of my Horses they were all so special.

Sorry for your loss. It is sad to lose a member of the family. Pet's give unconditional love.

It takes a while, man. That's all I can say. It's like putting down a member of the family. There is going to be guilt, survivor guilt, and just pain from empathizing. But they do not age the way we do, there is no way around that if you want pets in your life. And try to focus on the happy times you had and not just the ending. There are countless animals (and people) that have had vastly worse lives than your guy had. I guess that's a perspective, even if it still hurts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back