Put down my ferret today :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few years back, about 9 years ago, my mum brought me a ferret home. Lady at her work didnt want it after a few months but I took him in.
Named the little guy Sid, after the Sloth in Ice Age because he looked pretty similar. I was also 11 at the time, lol.
Anyway, he's pretty much been my buddy for almost a decade now. Got him in '03, loved that little guy.
Over the course of the past 6 months, he started balding, with the onset of Adrenal Disease, which occurs almost overnight in some cases in the ferret world... Developing a tumor on his hind parts, it was getting hard for him to use the bathroom, up until about 2 weeks ago, he was eating still. Then he just gave up, if it hurts to use the bathroom, then why eat? mentality I guess.
Anyway, he lost a lot of weight over the past few weeks this has occured, still drinking though but I couldnt let him keep going like that.
Today was the day, took him to a 24/7 emergency vet, had him put down. He lived an awesome life, he was my buddy through it all growing up. I felt like he at times was the only one who understood me. Buried him in the backyard, with all his toys, his food dish, and his hammock, all the things he enjoyed in his life. One of these days, he will be by my side again. He is up in heaven with my grandmother, watching over me and my up and coming time in Boot Camp and the Army.
I have had dogs die over the years, cats, etc. But those werent as hard as this is. The past animals I have had pass away were family animals, Sid was mine.. Nobody elses..

Love ya Sid. Sorry for ranting on here..

2ykdwyd.jpg

^Picture taken a few months back, one of the only things left I have to hold on to the little guy.

Sorry this happened. Its hard when you are attached to a pet. I've often wondered if kids growing up with pets and loosing them have a better appreciation for the gift of life, including human life.

Deepest condolences for your loss. I know the pain you feel as I had to put my beloved cat of eighteen years down. I cried my eyes out on the drive home from the vet.

Wish you the best on your upcoming military service.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So sorry to hear. Really painful and I wish you the best in this tough time.

+1

Hang in there. It's not easy losing pets.

Beautiful post. Sorry for your loss and I can fully feel your pain having been thru it several times.

You did the right thing. Sorry you had to loose the little bugger. I had a ferret when I was growing up. They are cool animals.

Good luck at boot camp.

My friend had a ferret - a cool animal. They are not like cats and dogs!
We came home from fishing one day and decided to put our live minnows in a bowl of water in his cage.
"Aww... he doesn't know what they are - he won't eat them. Etc.."

After a few seconds of sniffing, he inhaled them!

Always gets me emotional hearing someone lose a pet. Sorry to hear of your loss.
frown.gif
Good luck in the military!

I am sorry for your loss. Some of my saddest feelings involved our pets passings. I truly feel that if more people viewed life from their pet's perspective (atleast once in awhile), society would be less worried about the petty things that us humans seem to dwell on. You cared for him and he knew it. He is at peace now. Take care.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Love ya Sid. Sorry for ranting on here..

It's hard losing a pet you love.
Go right on ahead and rant. Thanks for sharing such a great story about his life.

sorry to hear about your loss. have to admit that sid is my fav in Ice Age... seemed to be the perfect name for him. hoping things get better for you .

"Sid" was a great name. Some people name their pets goofy things, don't they? If I ever have another red tabby cat with the right personality, I'll name him Diego after Denis Leary's sabertooth in those movies.

The reason, I think, we have such a hard time with the loss of our animal friends, is that with people there are often other emotions and reactions mixed in with whatever love or affection we feel. Our love for Aunt Clara may be mixed in with resentment, etc. But with cats and dogs and other animals, the love is unalloyed.

You cared for him, which he knew about, and you honored him after he was gone, which you know about. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back