Pushing PYB to 10000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I asked how far can you push PYB. I've decided to try it in my oldest car. Today I did an OCI with 5w20 PYB in a 4runner with the 5vzfe. I'm planning on changing again at 10k miles. Filter is a Fram TG3614. Will do a UOA with TBN at 10k. Based on dnewton3 and his results with WPP Supertech I'm betting this will be no problem at all.

I'm going to attempt to push MC semi-syn 5w20 to 10k.
I'm at 6600 right now.. oil still looks clean and level is still at full mark. I might change the filter out so I can cut it open for inspection, last oil change the filter was so clean I could've just left it in there.. Not quite sure if I will or not yet.
After a long drive or getting stuck in traffic my '12 Fusion 2.5L sounds like a diesel at idle, but goes away when it starts moving.
I've heard other Ford's and other makes do similar so I'm not to worried, but it is a bit hair raising...

What year is the 4Runner? How many miles? What condition is the engine in? Do you have to add make up oil? These are all important considerations.

While dino can and has been run 10k, your results may vary as they say. I would feel more comfortable doing a UOA at 7k and going from there based on that information.

2000 4runner. 214k on original 5vzfe and 4speed auto tranny. 80% long highway miles. Generally 1/2 quart make up oil at 5k miles.

Last edited:
One or two OCIs like that doesn't tell much. Run 200K then let us know how 10K OCIs with dino worked for you.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I'm going to attempt to push MC semi-syn 5w20 to 10k.
I'm at 6600 right now.. oil still looks clean and level is still at full mark. I might change the filter out so I can cut it open for inspection, last oil change the filter was so clean I could've just left it in there.. Not quite sure if I will or not yet.
After a long drive or getting stuck in traffic my '12 Fusion 2.5L sounds like a diesel at idle, but goes away when it starts moving.
I've heard other Ford's and other makes do similar so I'm not to worried, but it is a bit hair raising...

Sounds like a diesel at idle after sitting in traffic? That would have me concerned. Some engines are naturally noisy at idle but if this noise is sporadic then I would think something is going on.

If I did that the car would have 414k on it. I doubt anything but the engine and rear end would be alive at that point.

You said you were going to run 5w20 PYB why 5w20 I would think that your T4R would call call for no less then 5w30?

While it's entirely possible that Pyb can last 10k, it'd be best to work up to it with successive uoas but you'll know soon enough. If you're right you'll save time.

It's all about risk/reward.

Why push motor oils and filters past a reasonable service level?

KitaCam is right, spend the $20 and just change it.

If I believe you are a frequent oil changer, I'll be more likely to buy your well maintained used vehicle.

I'd also be prepared to give you more money for that vehicle.

I'm talking enough cash to offset the cost of the "extra" oil changes.

The goal is not to save money, or drive the car for another 200,000 miles. The goal is to see if PYB 5w20 SN can be pushed to 10k in this car without catastrophic results. I asked the question in an older post and half this board said you'd never know without trying it an then doing a UOA. So I decided to do it an then the other half of the forum starts telling me I'm an idiot. This reminds me of why I stopped visiting this forum about 5 years ago. It's a collection of schizophrenics.

Originally Posted By: zamadison
The goal is not to save money, or drive the car for another 200,000 miles. The goal is to see if PYB 5w20 SN can be pushed to 10k in this car without catastrophic results. I asked the question in an older post and half this board said you'd never know without trying it an then doing a UOA. So I decided to do it an then the other half of the forum starts telling me I'm an idiot. This reminds me of why I stopped visiting this forum about 5 years ago. It's a collection of schizophrenics.

Hopefully voice of reason talking here. If you haven't done any other UOAs (with their limitations in mind), there needs to be a baseline for the motor established. From there, then you can go into test oil conditions once you know how your old/current regimen compares. If you want to go full into the 10k, do a UOA to part way through to monitor. One run will not be set in stone either. I'm for the idea of seeing how far it will go, just don't go into it full bore and pray at 10k it'll be fine.

Schizophrenia aside, few folks on this forum would recommend PYB at a 10,000 mile OCI on a regular basis.

There are many motor oils better equipped for extended drain intervals, like M1 EP and Castrol Edge EP Titanium, that cost little more and are up to the task.

So save the sampling cost, spend an extra $9 at Walmart on 5 quarts of M1 EP, and call it good.

Most here, irrespective of their clinical mental health diagnosis, would agree with this advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back