Push Mower - which carburetor?

I have a Craftsman push mower (Briggs engine 6.25 OHV, Model 247.377000). It was experiencing some surging while running late in the season last year. I have already replaced the air filter last fall. I'm thinking the carburetor could be dirty and in need of cleaning/replacing. I have experience with another mower a few years ago, where I decided to simply replace the carburetor--thank you YouTube!

I was curious whether anyone knew which specific model number of carburetor this mower took. I was having trouble researching online.

Thanks!
Ryan

Last edited:
If it has a fan-air governor (most do) check that that linkage is free. Sometimes the pin that the paddle rotates on rusts, swells, and keeps the paddle from moving.

As for your question, there's got to be an online site (jacks small engines?) with parts explosions. You should find that one replacement carb bolts up to many similar models.

Before investing in a replacement carb try a fuel system cleaner. It will require running a treated tankful of fuel through it first to see if it dislodges the crude. I used a substantial amount in the fuel disregarding the directions on the container. It worked on my old Craftsman mower several times over the years.

Here’s how I do it. I remove the air filter assembly to get a good look at the carb. It helps to photograph it. I then get on amazon and type in the detail you mentioned. The serial numbers that come up with the listings might not match, however a whole raft of carbs will come up with photographs. I marked up one such photo with three circles. Look at those three circles and see if you can match what you have to what the listing has. I have ordered several carbs using this technique and have never been disappointed. Most of them are made at the same factory but have many vendors. These are manufactured with a row of small CNC machines with an operator in front of each. I found the quality to be as good as OE.

884DF367-921B-4CD9-A73A-C28D805A0E06.jpeg

Your valve cover has a series of numbers stamped into it. These are your Briggs engine numbers. Use these on small engine sights like Jacks small engines to get your replacement carburetor part number.

Those are a very simple carburator. I have fixed many of those carbs having the same problem. The steel pin which acts as the hing for the float will corrode and cause the float to stick. Try taking the bowl off and work the float to see if it hangs up. Removing the pin and lightly sanding it with 600 wet sand will smooth it out then reinstall.

Go on the Sears parts website and look up your carb then cross reference the part number and prices on other sites if you want a complete carb.

wow, before going to all the trouble of sourcing a new carb spend a few minutes cleaning the old one. It probably has a bowl nut that also acts as a jet. Drop the bowl, clean it out, clean the jet and make sure the float is working correctly. 10 mins of work and you should be good to go.

That's one of them with the plastic carb, look for a carb that fits the 550ex or 625ex. I'd just try cleaning it first, drop the bowl, you'll need a 7mm socket, and then use a flathead to pull the jet cartridge out and blow it out with carb spray.

From Sears Parts Direct . com, the carburator is part # 592361 @ $50.79. Crossing over to Briggs & Stratton with this part #, it's available from B&S @$36.99.

Regards,
John

One follow-up question, does this product get any love here? Worth trying?

One follow-up question, does this product get any love here? Worth trying?

I got some for free that I've used more as an engine fogger for long-term storage than anything else. I wouldn't buy it thinking it will solve any problems.

If you want to add something to the fuel in order to clean the fuel system, use Berryman B-12. As far as any "tune up in a can" goes, there really is no such thing. More than likely, cleaning the fuel system of varnish, dirt and other crud is what restores power, etc.

I have a Craftsman push mower (Briggs engine 6.25 OHV, Model 247.377000).
That Craftsman model number only gets me the parts for the mower body. Please post the numbers on the Briggs & Stratton engine. The numbers should be stamped into the cylinder shroud that goes around the cylinder. It's a curved piece of metal that is not painted. Older Briggs & Stratton engines will have the numbers stamped into the flywheel cover by the spark plug.

Back