Purpose of tomato juice in beer?

I like beer, but not particularly tomato juice. But, I like a red beer more than either one alone. I am gonna try an orange beer one of these days. As some said about tomato beer, it sounds awful, but it might be great. I thought the same about tomato beer.

It’s a Mexican thing in NorCal. I don’t usually crave them, but I’ve had good renditions of them at the local craft brewery when my friend was selling tacos there. However, it’s not up to “spec” - you want an Mexican lager, Tomato juice and Taijin. They used a Pilsner that was closer to the Czech definition of the style.

The regular Tajin (Clasico) is kind of tame - it's mostly lime and salt. I just ordered the Habanero version for a bit more kick.
That is what I ordered and it came yesterday (gotta love prime) and so far I have tried it on radishes, cucumbers, yellow bell pepper and tomatoes. I think it goes the best with the tomatoes. My next it to try it in my Bud light lime with clamato juice.

The Habanero may be to much for me but let me know how much hotter it is than the Clasico.

Every thing I've ever tried that had the word Habanero in it is was waaaaaaay to hot for me, I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to hot sause, Franks Original hot sauce is about as hot as I go.🌶
LOL. My tolerance for spicy food isn't very high either. A single serrano pepper blended with 4 roma tomatoes in salsa is usually enough for me.

My wife picked up some habanero based salt recently. She sprinkles it liberally on her corn. I can only handle it in very small quantities. We'll see about this habanero Tajin.

The Habanero may be to much for me but let me know how much hotter it is than the Clasico.
Just got it and tried it. It's definitely hotter than Clasico, but nothing crazy. I like it better than Clasico. Goes great on tomato. I also dumped some into the coleslaw I was making. I'm sure it'll be great on corn as well.

I can remember my Dad drinking PBR and tomato juice when I was a kid.
Probably improved the taste of PBR.

I hadn't thought about it in years but, I seem to remember a man who used to frequent one of my old watering holes drinking tomato juice with his beer. That was 35 years ago and I don't remember ever seeing anyone else do it. I've been known to chase whiskey with beer years ago but, I don't recommend it.

That is what I ordered and it came yesterday (gotta love prime) and so far I have tried it on radishes, cucumbers, yellow bell pepper and tomatoes. I think it goes the best with the tomatoes. My next it to try it in my Bud light lime with clamato juice.

Love it on watermelon and cantaloupe, peaches and nectarines.

Back