purolator - wix oild filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a lot of threads out there about this...over the years i read them and based on what i learned i've stuck to a single oil filter and oil over the years on the cars i bought new. however, now after buying a used car recently, two of them, i started reading and need some questions answered.

used cars recently bought:
a) 2005 accord 155k -5w20-it uses a little bit of oil, nothing where i am adding oil (just drove it 5k and its slightly 1/4 quart less perhaps. original owner said always conventional oil, got oil changes done at any oil change place. no idea what oil filter was used.
b) 2014 mazda 6 55k -0W20 synthetic-original owner says penzoil edge synthetic oil, got done always at mazda dealer, so dealer oil filter

so i was going to go and get WIX filters for both cars-->carquest oil filter was made by wix and just found out that champion makes them now. so i thought of getting pureone by purolator instead but after reading stuff here today, i am not sure any more. everyone keeps changing their filters up. i understand there are a lots of opinions, but just want your thoughts and why.

so the question is:
1) i am think of just buying the oil deal that is available at the auto stores but i am not going to use fram oil filter. what brand filter and level would you suggest. bosch, mobil one, napa, ect? should i always upgrade to higher level of oil filter (buy napa gold instead of napa, pureone or boss instead of purolator, carquest premium instead of carquest, etc)?

2) for the accord with 155 miles should i go to higher mileage oil? the 5w20 does not come in high milage, so should i change the oil weight to get high mileage oil?

3) lastly on castrol edge vs mobil1 synthetic oil?

thank you in advance for your suggestions and opinions.

High mileage is indeed available as I have 5 5 quart jugs of MaxLife blend in this form. MaxLife 5w20 would be OK

Napa Gold is Wix. Don't worry, the Fram Carquest filters are actually good. They also feature metal endcaps, not cardboard. Recent P1's made in 2015 are safe to buy.

HM 5w20 does exist. Plenty of choices including Maxlife, Pennzoil HM, Mobil Super HM, Smitty's HM, Castrol HM, and even some house brands.

What stores do you have access to? What OCI do you use?

Ok...so i see that i should make the switch from conventional to high milage oil for the accord. But should i be upgrading the oil filter?

Stores that i have access to are autozone, carquest, napa, orielly

What is oci?

Originally Posted By: elantra
Ok...so i see that i should make the switch from conventional to high milage oil for the accord. But should i be upgrading the oil filter?

Stores that i have access to are autozone, carquest, napa, orielly

What is oci?

OCI = oil change interval. The amount of time/mileage you go between oil changes. For example, 5000 miles/6 months.

If you want a high mileage oil and Wix, go to O'R and get one of the high mileage oil specials, with the Wix filter. About a dollar less than Napa's price.

otherwise, go to Carquest and get the Quaker State synthetic and the CQ Blue filter upgrade.

For 5000 miles or less, the cheap oil filters will be fine. CQ Red, Microgard, Napa Silver/Proselect. Napa Silver is identical to O'R's Microgard; both are made by Wix, but slightly cheaper in quality, but still good for a basic filter.

For longer OCI's like 7-10k, you'd probably want to step up to the Wix/Napa Gold or the CQ Blue.

Carquest also has Vavoline High Mileage Synthetic (formerly Maxlife Synthetic) and a CQ blue filter.

Go to Walmart and buy a motorcraft oil filter and what ever brand of oil floats your boat for the mazda. Use both for the whole oci recommended by your manual , probably 7500 or 10000 and change it and do it again and just keep doing it. It's just that simple. Thats it.
With the accord do the same but with the hm oil of your choice.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed reply!

My other two cars that I bought new (01 safari & 05 Elantra), i did mobil 1 symthetic & Napa Gold at 5k, rarely was lazy at 7.5k max...I am now selling both vehicles.

for the 2 recent used cars, I am at 5k for the accord now and 7.5ish k on mazda 6 (i know its a cutting it close, should have done my research earlier
smile.gif
).

my plans for the:
- accord i plan on doing 5k and
-7.5k for mazda
or approx. 8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back