Purolator TL14612 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decades of changing my own oil, curiosity got the best of me after reading so much about Purolator filters in this forum, I just cut open my first ever oil filter to see if I should have any concern.
Filter came off my wifes Mazda Skyactive engine. I purchased a full case of these filters (12 filters) for less then $30 delivered to my home and have been using them exclusively on this car.
Considering their cost of around $2.00 each delivered to my house, I am quite happy with how the filter looks after 3000 miles and will continue to use them.
I did this on the fly, used a hack saw, any filings you see are from the filter.

IMG_20181028_132027.jpg

IMG_20181028_132017.jpg

IMG_20181028_132021(1).jpg

IMG_20181028_132239.jpg

IMG_20181028_132159.jpg

IMG_20181028_132350.jpg

IMG_20181028_132356.jpg

IMG_20181028_132414.jpg

Looks great. Looking in at the bypass valve, it is well centered. Some have been off the seat and would leak oil. Something to check for on these.

Originally Posted by goodtimes
Looks great. Looking in at the bypass valve, it is well centered. Some have been off the seat and would leak oil. Something to check for on these.

The bypass valve seat is not recessed - it sits on top of a raised lip, and the valve is L-shaped around it's circumference so it can't slip side-to-side past the sealing lip.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4095638/Purolator_dome-end_bypass_pics

alarmguy - shorty model, less susceptible to media tearing even with wide pleat spacing. Looks decent, thanks for the C&P.

Thanks for the comments,
I never thought about the by-pass and like my OP says its the first filter I ever bothered cutting open but I have to say (not that it means anything) I was impressed by the over all feel of the filter as well as not lacking any glue/sealant, very neatly sealed in all the right places AND that by-pass valve, just seems to me it is designed like it would be on a more expensive filter, but what do i know except Ill keep cutting them open, heck maybe Ill cut open a new one, I have so many Ill never be able to use them all.
Here is a close up of the valve, just for the heck of it .. .

IMG_20181028_132159.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to see a better picture of the pleats on each side of the seam, with good lighting and at a downward angle. One of them looks suspect to me, but the lighting is not good in that area.

It does look fine if it isn't torn, particularly since is a jobber level filter.

(BTW, I'm not suggesting you are not being straight, but the tears are sometimes hard to see, it might be easy to miss on your first cut open)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I'd like to see a better picture of the pleats on each side of the seam, with good lighting and at a downward angle. One of them looks suspect to me, but the lighting is not good in that area.

It does look fine if it isn't torn, particularly since is a jobber level filter.

(BTW, I'm not suggesting you are not being straight, but the tears are sometimes hard to see, it might be easy to miss on your first cut open)

Ha ha always a skeptic Robert, after all these years :eek:) ...
I want you to know I just dug through a trash can full of thorn bushes to get the filter out for these photos. Think I will keep it in a bag for any other questions ... *L*
(just having fun, now time to shut this computer off)

IMG_20181028_205152.jpg

IMG_20181028_205204.jpg

IMG_20181028_210249.jpg

IMG_20181028_210409.jpg

IMG_20181028_211254.jpg

IMG_20181028_211148.jpg

Last edited:
The 14612s are so short that they hold up very well in service. I have only seen one with a issue on here after a cut and post. It's generally been the 14610s and 14459s that have been the ones with tearing problems.

I agree with you here... For $2 a piece delivered to your door... These are a very good deal for short runs. Good job with your pics has well. Hope you remained uninjured after doing this cut up. And hope you had a good day today.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Sure thing! It was a bit tricky in the bright daylight earlier, inside the house the flash was better.

There is definitely an art to oil filter pictures, I've got an old battery cover that has an open side I cover with a drape and either take outside or use 2 "daylight" bulbs in desk lamps. I've toyed with making a light box, but my current kludge seems to work OK. Actually a mildly overcast day seems to work best. Your pictures are really good, it was just the shadows in that one area.

Originally Posted by bbhero
The 14612s are so short that they hold up very well in service. I have only seen one with a issue on here after a cut and post. It's generally been the 14610s and 14459s that have been the ones with tearing problems.

That is true, I didn't realize this was a short one (6606 size right) it is interesting vs the long one 14610 (7317 size) that is one of the frequent offenders.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree with you here... For $2 a piece delivered to your door... These are a very good deal for short runs. Good job with your pics has well. Hope you remained uninjured after doing this cut up. And hope you had a good day today.

I also agree, for a short term/mile run nothing to complain about here, it looks at least as good as other $2 filters.

Of course I'm also glad there were no injuries (cut filters and thorn bushes can both be quite sharp) and for future reference "it is in the trash covered in briars" is good for a pass from me.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Looks good!

I believe this is the first entry-level Purolator we've seen since the packaging update.

Yep, I don't believe these are supposed to be sold at retail right, they are shop oil change filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back