Purolator Syn vs Toughguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Walmart Canada is getting rid of Purolator.
They've put up the Synthetic(blue can) on sale. Although I couldn't find the right size, if I do come across one, I want to be prepared to get one soon for upcoming oil changes on two cars. Do they have the same issue as PureOne and Classic??

I still have 9 of those, but I am not planning to use them anymore.

EG $7ish
TG $10-11
Puro Syn $6.

I go about 12k on one car due to synthetic oil + highway driving and every 6 months on a short tripper car. My original plan was to go TG and OG. Now that I see this Syn for $6, I'm debating, because it's around the price of a OG here.

Purolator Synthetic, but only because of the price. Fram Ultra is superior in construction.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Purolator Synthetic, but only because of the price. Fram Ultra is superior in construction.

He never mentioned Ultra. His decision is between the Puro Synthetic, Fram TG, and OCOD.

Puro Syn is a no-brainer in this situation.

so in everyones opinion here purolator is out and fram is now the go to filter ???

Is it the tg or the ultra that everyone likes the best?

I still think fram is overpriced but we Dont buy anything made by purolator anymore at the shop.
We currently have driveworks oil filters at the shop but they say made in china on them so we will be changing to something else.

Fram Extra Guard is a little overpriced, Fram Tough Guard is about the same price with others with similar performance such as WiX, NAPA Gold ... Fram Ultra is lower than all other synthetic filters and long drain filters such as Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
so in everyones opinion here purolator is out and fram is now the go to filter ???

I still think fram is overpriced but we Dont buy anything made by purolator anymore at the shop.
We currently have driveworks oil filters at the shop but they say made in china on them so we will be changing to something else.

The Ultra is the top-of-the-line, wire mesh-backed, full synthetic media filter with metal end caps, sold as a 15k mile filter. The TG is a high(er than economy) end synthetic/cellulose blend media with no wire mesh backing, fiber (some call them "cardboard") end caps, high efficiency, and 10k mile rating. So the Ultra is the top dog, but the TG is more than adequate for most and is probably what I will run for my next few OCIs.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

The Ultra is the top-of-the-line, wire mesh-backed, full synthetic media filter with metal end caps, sold as a 15k mile filter. The TG is a high(er than economy) end synthetic/cellulose blend media with no wire mesh backing, fiber (some call them "cardboard") end caps, high efficiency, and 10k mile rating. So the Ultra is the top dog, but the TG is more than adequate for most and is probably what I will run for my next few OCIs.

I hope I'm not wrong in saying that the purolator syn looks to have wire mesh backing too. I was looking through the hole and saw that.

My thought is that if it is using synthetic media + wire mesh. It will probably not have the tear issue?

Originally Posted By: wing0
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

I hope I'm not wrong in saying that the purolator syn looks to have wire mesh backing too. I was looking through the hole and saw that.

My thought is that if it is using synthetic media + wire mesh. It will probably not have the tear issue?

Yes, the Puro Syn is wire mesh-backed and should not be as tear prone as the P1s.

Since your so close to the U.S., drive down one day and go to the closest WalMart, and pick up several Fram ULTRAS. The price is right at under $9. Its the 'best bang for the buck' in top-tier filters.

You might be able to use it for 2 OCI's, since Fram grantees it for 15,000 miles.

Pick up some quality oil as well. As I'm sure your aware, its much cheaper below the border. We love to have your business.

Although i have not counted i see engines coming in with all different filters and almost all the engines i see need rebuilding.

After being in the rebuilding business for so many years i cant remember clearly any engine that failed due to a properly installed filter with the correct part number. There was one for sure a while ago but i dont remember the engine or brand of filter.
We had some state police cars that blew out filters but that was due to very heavy oil used in the winter.
I used frams for years in the eighties i dont use them anymore but may look at a tg or ultra one day. I stopped using the ons that tear

Decided.

Found some Purolator syn for one car.
The media and the mesh wire should prevent it from tearing.

Probably get EG for short tripper when it goes on sale.

EG ?

Extra Guard ... the orange can Fram.

Link: Fram EG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back