Purolator PureOne PL24651

Cut open my Purolator filter after 7K mile run with Redline 5W-30. What I found was disturbing.
The bottom medal cap had zero glue for it to stick to the filter and the top cap had about 1/4 of it applied to the filter. So how much oil in 7K miles was not filtered properly
Photos attached
Thanks guys

2FC5D70D-9BA8-4FF0-8654-6FDE6F8E5609.jpeg

A0A92565-B851-4CCC-88FC-3731B2E79E15.jpeg

E190A1F9-54DF-45AA-99B4-64F51388CF1B.jpeg

F95F5E5F-9493-40EF-A591-CEF9C6BD3F4E.jpeg

94F8C844-C5A7-4693-8EE5-4FEBF8BD6DDE.jpeg

DB04E848-5551-415A-8611-C7076AF7ECAD.jpeg

688E29FC-45A0-4398-8B65-20408C4D9117.jpeg

07A8F49C-CC12-4AF9-94B2-CCB9BC42EDC5.jpeg

Those end caps seem to be hit or miss on how easily they come loose after a run. When they're in the can it should seal up just fine. Still, it should be glued to hold better. Date code? What's the next plan?

Last edited:
Those end caps seem to be hit or miss on how easily they come loose after a run. When they're in the can it should seal up just fine. Still, it should be glued to hold better. Date code? What's the next plan?
I replaced this filter with another P1 Probably gonna drop filter and add 1/2 quart. Can’t unsee that kinda stuff

This shows the value of members taking time to upload these cut opens. Thru the years these data points have changed as to what filters were quality and which were junk. We have seen our high rated filters fall from grace and also some bargain filters surprise us. Good info thank you!

If you look close to the top cap you’ll see a small amount of glue. Look at the bottom cap and you’ll see nothing

It's a typical case of the end cap potting material ("glue") not adhering well to the metal end caps. But in this case there was a lack of potting material in some areas. Any place there is an exposed pleat end, there was dirty oil getting by. Probably not much, but it's certainly a defect not wanted on a filter.

It's a typical case of the end cap potting material ("glue") not adhering well to the metal end caps. But in this case there was a lack of potting material in some areas. Any place there is an exposed pleat end, there was dirty oil getting by. Probably not much, but it's certainly a defect not wanted on a filter.
This is the first P1 filter I’ve cut open. I’ve used several Purolator Boss filters and cut open with no issues at all. So I want be using P1 anymore

Cut open my Purolator filter after 7K mile run with Redline 5W-30. What I found was disturbing.
The bottom medal cap had zero glue for it to stick to the filter and the top cap had about 1/4 of it applied to the filter. So how much oil in 7K miles was not filtered properly
Photos attached
Thanks guys

View attachment 222369

View attachment 222370

View attachment 222371

View attachment 222372

View attachment 222373

View attachment 222374

View attachment 222375

View attachment 222376
The shinny black coating on both ends covering the pleat ends is what you term glue. The purpose of the metal end caps is to hold the glue in place as it dries. The glue Purolator has long used dosent stick to the metal so well. Until it’s cut open and taken apart it’s all held in place and there is no oil leaking through the end caps. So in reality it’s not a failure as it doesn’t actually matter that the metal end caps don’t stick. Some filter manufacturers make filter media with only glue on the ends and no end caps at all and they function just fine.
It’s not a popular thing to point out around here but it’s really not an issue. Tearing media is another thing though we aren’t really seeing pure ones tearing anymore.

The “missing” potting material stuck to the metal end cap when it was taken apart. Look at the end cap and you can see.

Last edited:
Photos attached
Thanks guys

View attachment 222369

View attachment 222370

View attachment 222371

View attachment 222372

View attachment 222373

View attachment 222374

View attachment 222375

View attachment 222376

Great photos. Haven’t used a Purolator in years thank god. Nice cut and post. What oil went in sump? I Thank You sir 👍🇺🇸🍻🍺

The shinny black coating on both ends covering the pleat ends is what you term glue. The purpose of the metal end caps is to hold the glue in place as it dries. The glue Purolator has long used dosent stick to the metal so well. Until it’s cut open and taken apart it’s all held in place and there is no oil leaking through the end caps. So in reality it’s not a failure as it doesn’t actually matter that the metal end caps don’t stick. Some filter manufacturers make filter media with only glue on the ends and no end caps at all and they function just fine.
It’s not a popular thing to point out around here but it’s really not an issue. Tearing media is another thing though we aren’t really seeing pure ones tearing anymore.
the issue is how it’s constructed. the end cap is responsible for holding back the dp created by the filter. in this case since the end cap wasn’t adhered well, the dp could have forced oil through the non adhered section allowing a bypass event. the filters you’re talking about are like toyota OE filters and they are sealed via the glue and the housing that they slide in to. different applications. this is indeed a failure that we’re seeing across the M+H built filters. M1’s are also doing this.

The “missing” potting material stuck to the metal end cap when it was taken apart. Look at the end cap and you can see.
I saw that, but it's missing potting material on the ends of the pleats in that area. So apparently it was applied too thin there to adhere to the media on the end of the pleats. That potting material sticks to media way better than it does to smooth metal. Open pleat ends like that can leak dirty oil. This example is not the typical Purolator end cap popper where the whole blob of potting material stays in one piece.

Last edited:
Back