Purolator Pure One ADBV failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Woody71
I shouldn't browse BITOG forums the day of an OC. I'm getting ready to install a PureOne on our '11 CR-V. As others have said, failures happen with all brands, I'm moving forward as planned.

I wouldn't worry about it. That silicone ADBV that got tore up was probably pinched, etc during production ... probably a very rare occurrence.

They can keep their filters. I used to use them. I don't like their BPV design. My oil pressure light used to flicker on startup with them. Now it's Fram TG's...FTW! Oil pressure light goes off quick, and dosn't flicker at all.

Originally Posted By: kender
They can keep their filters. I used to use them...................

Agree 100%--the Purolators I have in my stash are gone--I've seen too many media failures with Purolator.
From now on it's back to the OCOD (like the good old days) or Ultra

i like the classics but i did see a whole batch that the anti drain back valve did not work.. you could blow through the hole with ease.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Very disappointing response. Unclassy and now very public.

Not disappointing to me and quite frankly, not surprising either. No manufacturer likes their product returned to them already take apart in pieces and be expected to do a proper "Root Cause, Corrective Action" analysis.

I get it is just the ADBV, but many times a sub assembly has to be analyzed "as built" with everything else intact and not all taken apart by someone with unknown to them methods.

Imo, Hoot makes a valid point. That said, it would have been 'nice' for Purolator to show some good will in the matter and provide some free filters for the OP's time and effort. That would have been my preference. They have done that in the past for members on 'some' media breaches on dissected filters.

And for those ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak, it wasn't long ago that a top of the line Fram Ultra had what most likely was a defective/compromised retainer leaf spring posted here. But because that filter wasn't dissected before shipping for testing, afaik nothing conclusive was ever known. In that case though, the buyer received some free filters as good will from a bitog member involved in the filter return.

On a personal note just finished a 6500 mi. oci with a PL14610 and the dissected filter and adbv looked excellent as usual, replaced with same. Going on my own experience this anecdote won't keep me from using P1 again. I would however understand if the OP chose not to use a P1 again. But as mentioned, filters from different manufacturers have been posted with an issue at one time or another. My.02

If anyone finds a defect in a filter after it's cut open, the best you can do is contact the manufacturer and tell them you want to send them photos to report the finding. It won't help to send in the dissected filter because they will probably baulk at that, as we've seen here. They can do what they want with the reported issue, but I doubt they will ignore it completely.

As I mentioned before, a lot of these problems/failures can't be seen until the filter is cut open. The Ultra with something loose and rattling inside was able to be detected without cutting, so naturally it would make sense to sent that one in without cutting it open first.

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
Do contact Purolator as they more than likely will have you send it to them for examination. They sent me 2 more P1's after I had a tear in the media. But after I had another tear in a classic they didn't respond back.

I am hoping you dont use Purolator anymore?

I just opened another Purolator Pure One oil filter and the ADBV and media looked OK . However, after reading recent posts concerning Purolator media tearing problems (Classics ?), I think that I will switch brands .

Last edited:
Another orange rubber filter w/problems. I stay away from orange rubber now because I had a filter with an orange base gasket work loose. AC Delco or Mopar filters for me for now on. OEM Harley for my bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rkpatt
I just opened another Purolator Pure One oil filter and the ADBV and media looked OK . However, after reading recent posts concerning Purolator media tearing problems (Classics ?), I think that I will switch brands .

???? You don't believe your own eyes, but take the word of people you don't know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back