Purolator Oil Filter Specification Sheets for Classic L14006, One PL14006, & Boss PBL14006

L14006_page-0001.jpg

PL14006_page-0001.jpg

PBL14006_page-0001.jpg

L14006_page-0001.jpgPL14006_page-0001.jpgPBL14006_page-0001.jpg

I wonder if that is a mis-print or if the filter media is really that different? Seems like the emphasis is on high flow rates for the Boss filter? Maybe a racing application?

I wonder if that is a mis-print or if the filter media is really that different? Seems like the emphasis is on high flow rates for the Boss filter? Maybe a racing application?
Extended use (~15k) filter and high capacity for dirt holding.

No misprint & the Boss's flow rate is most likely due to the structure of synthetic media vs the other types of media. These filters are positioned for a range of vehicles & if you consider a Buick Century (1975-76), that this filter fits, as a "Racing Application" then I guess it would be.

Last edited:
Another example where the Boss is never more efficient than the PureOne.

Ascent's ISO 4548-12 test showed the Boss he tested came in better than the Spec Sheet above showing 50% @ 22u. Ascent's test showed ~70% @ 22u.

No misprint & the Boss's flow rate is most likely due to the structure of synthetic media vs the other types of media.
FYI ... the flow rate shown on the Spec Sheet is just the flow rate at which the ISO 4548 test was done at, that was discussed in another thread. Looks like they ISO test the Boss at a higher flow rate than the other filter lines.

11.35 L/min = 3.0 GPM.
25 L/min = 6.6 GPM.

They never give you the number of flutes so a guy could find the correct size cap wrench easier.
That would be convenient.
So, the Boss gives you 2x more holding capacity, and a far worse filtration efficiency than the other two.
Not unlike the Wix XP/Napa Platinum concept.

No thanks.
I agree that using the One with its stellar efficiency is the best option here and shows the great value in this information to make an informed buying decision. Regarding the Boss If only we could find a "Better" efficiency 20,000 mile oil filter that's been individually tested to ISO 4548-12 standards w/ an available comparable sheet.
Another example where the Boss is never more efficient than the PureOne.

Ascent's ISO 4548-12 test showed the Boss he tested came in better than the Spec Sheet above showing 50% @ 22u. Ascent's test showed ~70% @ 22u.
No surprise there. 😂 But I think the "One" surprised us all w/ 99%@17. There seems to be some diamonds sitting at Purolator we just need to keep sifting through them w/these sheets.
FYI ... the flow rate shown on the Spec Sheet is just the flow rate at which the ISO 4548 test was done at, that was discussed in another thread. Looks like they ISO test the Boss at a higher flow rate than the other filter lines.

11.35 L/min = 3.0 GPM.
25 L/min = 6.6 GPM.
Interesting!

Last edited:
Regarding the Boss If only we could find a "Better" efficiency 20,000 mile oil filter that's been individually tested to ISO 4548-12 standards w/ an available comparable sheet.
How about the Spec Sheet on the Boss PBL10241? It's the model used in the Brand Ranks video that was supposedly as good or better in their "PC test" as the high efficiency Royal Purple. If the Spec Sheet is 99% @ >46μ, I'd say the test was a fluke.

How about the Spec Sheet on the Boss PBL10241? It's the model used in the Brand Ranks video that was supposedly as good or better in their "PC test" as the high efficiency Royal Purple. If the Spec Sheet is 99% @ >46μ, I'd say the test was a fluke.
Here you go... 🙂. Can't really say it was a "Fluke" per se b/c we don't have the spec sheet for the others. The others could be worse or equal.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ter-specification-sheets.374766/#post-6656232

20K mile oil filter that M&H doesn't want to go into bypass from filling up w/debris over that long duration. (They don't want them to clog)
Which makes a good argument for not running any filter that long. Assuming it's "filling up w/debris" in the first place, we haven't seen too much of that on there except for engines that have some sort of problem.

I wonder how Fram deals with this on their 20,000 mile oil filter? Or Supertech for that matter. Or the Mobil 1 filter.

20K mile oil filter that M&H doesn't want to go into bypass from filling up w/debris over that long duration. (They don't want them to clog)
That's makes me wonder how Royal Purple and FRAM with their Endurance manages to go the distance with their high efficiency media and mesh backing.

That's makes me wonder how Royal Purple and FRAM with their Endurance manages to go the distance with their high efficiency media and mesh backing.
It's all in the design of the media. The filters with a backing are typically full synthetic, or highly synthetic blend, so they need the extra support on the backside of the media to give it some strength against the dP produced by the oil flow in use.

Did you read the "what's in your filter" thread that explains the different types of media?

We don't know for certain Fram's efficiencies across the board but if they are more efficient then they are constructing them in a way to do so with their synthetic/cellulose media & or wire backing. The wire backing would be important to last 25k to prevent filter collapsing etc. Same concept why the Boss has non metal wire backing. Any deformation can cause the filter to not function as intended so keeping the pleats evenly spaced & upright is important.

Back