Purolator May Replace Metal With Plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: miraCRD
Yes, the "truss" would be very strong. But that is not the problem. The problem is SUPPORT of the media.

BINGO..were talking media support and that [censored] design has none!

Originally Posted By: daman
Yes, the "truss" would be very strong. But that is not the problem. The problem is SUPPORT of the media.

You guys ever think about the possibility that maybe they'll use media with a backing? Screen wire, expanded metal etc. Not that I know anything about this.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Pete C.

You guys ever think about the possibility that maybe they'll use media with a backing? Screen wire, expanded metal etc. Not that I know anything about this.
whistle.gif

Simplify the core to complicate the media ... makes sense.
crazy.gif
smile.gif

Now wouldn't media backing increase cost/production steps? something their trying to avoid with this whole idea?

have they mentioned any type of backing?

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
whistle.gif

That actually did cross my mind. But then I thought this:

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Simplify the core to complicate the media ... makes sense.
crazy.gif
smile.gif

It's actually comical to read the details of this "invention", and the supposed justification for it.

We all know that is all about money (saving it) for the manufacturer. But, in the patent documents linked to by the OP, I just learned that besides being "difficult to manufacture", the steel center tubes are prone to rusting, and "cause a long term pollution problem, because they remain in the environment for a protracted time". (What about the rest of the metal; the baseplate, spring, and the entire can itself???).

This "biodegradable" plastic (isn't that an oxymoron?) center support is therefore much more environmentally friendly.

It gets better. Then they go on to explain how "considerable force may be applied to the filter using a variety of tools to fasten or to remove the filter from the mounting plate. These forces generally tend to crush the filter can or housing, so that the center support according to the invention is useful in preventing the collapse of the can or housing."

Basically they are saying that this truss core design is going to prevent all that filter crushing going on during installation and removal.

What a complete bunch of....well, you know what!!

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
If the Triangular Truss design receives equal pressure from all 3 sides, it will be VERY strong.

With the right type of plastic this design should do just fine.

I worked with trusses for over 20 years as a former Lighting and Staging guy, Looking forward to see how (if) this pans out.

An analogy: I have some super strong lolly columns in my basement helping hold my house up. BUT, if they were not under a grid of beams and floor joists, my house is coming down. The columns (or trusses) can have all the strength in the world, but if what they're holding up isn't adequately supported, they're irrelevant.

This is ALL we've seen so far.

We (me and you) have no Idea how they will support the media.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

However, I would'nt be too surprised if they incorporated a backing in to the manufacturing process of the media.

Time will tell.

The truss is the support.
What happens between the Media and the Truss is what most people here are concerned about.

Again something we just dont know about yet.

BINGO....what?

Have faith that the guys at Purolator are smarter than us and they would not put out a filter that will fail.They have a good name to uphold. If they do change and you dont like it,then dont buy them.Put another color filter on and sleep well at night.

The truss is the support.
What happens between the Media and the Truss is what most people here are concerned about.

Again something we just dont know about yet.

BINGO....what?

that truss is a joke there's no support between the spands is what i was saying also.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I see some very distant dots being connected here.

I havent been here that long Jim, Please explain.

Just this: Finding patent info doesn't indicate how that technology will be used, if it will be used, when or where. On top of that, by the time we see it, it will be tested and validated in whatever form it comes. Way to early to put RIP on the P1 or to start survivalist-style stockpiling of filters.

Just this: Finding patent info doesn't indicate how that technology will be used, if it will be used, when or where. On top of that, by the time we see it, it will be tested and validated in whatever form it comes. Way to early to put RIP on the P1 or to start survivalist-style stockpiling of filters.
+1 Ah yes, a voice of reason amid the hysteria. Pretty much what I said when the first combo valve patent thread hit the board, only better. Much too early for any final conclusions to be drawn here.

I did find one thing interesting, the designer of the truss is from Bessemer City, NC. Bessemer is the next town over from/adjoining the Gastonia Wix plant. Don't know if there is any connection, just found it curious.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

+1 Ah yes, a voice of reason amid the hysteria. Pretty much what I said when the first combo valve patent thread hit the board, only better. Much too early for any final conclusions to be drawn here.

I did find one thing interesting, the designer of the truss is from Bessemer City, NC. Bessemer is the next town over from/adjoining the Gastonia Wix plant. Don't know if there is any connection, just found it curious.

+2 Goes to the voice of reason. Wait and see, IF they even use the patent.

While we dont know if this new 'truss' will be used or not,Purolator is going to a lot of trouble if they dont.

They seem very determined to make changes to their filter and this is just one example of such.They are seeking a patent for a new bypass/ADBV combo and according to their description of their new filter design,it will not have metal parts in it,that includes the end caps.

While it may not say this in so many words,the very description of the design would most likely do away with metal because they are trying to get away from certain glues and the oven that is needed to cure those glues.

If you take the heat of the oven from the filter sealing process,that leaves few choices in sealing the ends of the filter element.Those choices most likely would be to glue both ends of the element with a sealer and not use end caps as some filters or they could make a filter with a fiber type end cap and ultrasonically weld the end caps to the element.

There was also mention in a post that if Purolator does go this way that it would be tested.That is true but Champ tested their design too and it has problems even at this point and they have been on the market for quite some time.

Someone also mentioned that WIX has a location close to where one of the Purolator designers is from.WIX has already started using a Bypass/ADBV combo is some of the filters it makes.I have used one and have another one to put on.

WIX says that the new valve is in their Pro-Tec filters but the new valve is in other filters as well.

WIX Combo

While we cant say what WIX will do,this could be a first step to a filter redesign by them as well,especially for their private label filters.

That's what I was trying to say, only much better.
grin2.gif

+3!

Ooh, here's one for mass hysteria.

WIX and Purolator join forces to make the ultimate-mid-grade filter imaginable priced at $8 a piece:

The all-new WIXurolatorONEthousand!
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back