PUROLATOR L14476

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i think i found the source of the problem ..this morning i removed the TOYOTA YARIS oil filter ..yes it had a purolator oil filter ..it had aprox. 4000 kilometers [2400 miles] and to my surprize it was in MINT condition ..no unglued media separation ...WHY ???? because it had a METALcrimp to hold the media together ...the oil filter for my jeep liberty did not ,on mass production did they forget to install the metal crimp ???????

Last edited:
Nope. Some models of purolator filters have metal crimps, some are glued. Most of the smaller filters are crimped, the bigger ones are glued. I don't remember seeing any media tears on glued models or unglued seems for that matter.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Nope. Some models of purolator filters have metal crimps, some are glued. Most of the smaller filters are crimped, the bigger ones are glued. I don't remember seeing any media tears on glued models or unglued seems for that matter.

There have been a number, but the metal crimped models seem most plagued by issues.

And every single Purolator I've used and cut open are metal-crimped models, and none have exhibited any tears. Mine all had fairly consistent pleat spacing, though. It seems to me that the common denominator is pleat spacing next or or adjacent to the crimp, be it glued or metal.

All these "theories" have already been shot down near the beginning of the media tear party that started 4~5 months ago.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
You're surprised that a filter with 2400 miles on it came out in mint condition? I'm mildly amused

i was surprized .no unglued media separation

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
You're surprised that a filter with 2400 miles on it came out in mint condition? I'm mildly amused

But.... that's never really been what is commonly observed. The usual observation is a tear across a pleat, not a glue failure.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

But.... that's never really been what is commonly observed. The usual observation is a tear across a pleat, not a glue failure.

http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/10/06/04/87/dsc01911.jpg

please click on the link below

A couple more details on that pic would be useful. Someone posted a poor glue job not too long ago. But they seem rare.

That's exactly the point. That picture is not typical of what has been causing concern... not typical AT ALL. In fact its so atypical that I have to think they were all mechanically damaged in exactly the same way, probably during disassembly. The ones that raised the concern just have one or more comparatively small tears ACROSS a wider-than-average pleat, and near an end cap. They all look about the same, yet they were found by numerous different people, at many different times in service, over a number of months.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm surprised someone uses a 14476 where a 14477 might fit.

My Corolla calls for the 14476, but I was using the 14477 because of it's larger capacity...all of it's specs are the same as the 14476...but since the problems started with the Purolators I've gone to using Wix filters...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm surprised someone uses a 14476 where a 14477 might fit.

My Corolla calls for the 14476, but I was using the 14477 because of it's larger capacity...all of it's specs are the same as the 14476...but since the problems started with the Purolators I've gone to using Wix filters...

Lol, i forgot all about the 476. Using the 477 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back