Purolator Filters....changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple purolator filters, and I noticed the labeling is different, printed much bigger on the side of the filter and also they are labeled as being made in NC instead of TN.

Have they always been made in both places and for some reason this stock was from NC instead of TN?

or has something changed in the company?

I hope this doesn't affect build quality as I am a big Purolator Fan.

Last one I cut up had way less media than in the past and no assembly string. Don't need the string, and could be better media. The shell was heavier, but where my filter mounts, I never remember one getting dinged.

Something definitely changed on the ones I get. There is less media, but it seems to be of higher quality. Otherwise build quality is identical. I'll get some pics tonight.

The changes are probably a result of Bosch's purchase of Purolator.

The standard Purolator is currently one heck of a filter for $3.29.

Bosch may be reducing its quality to let it better compete with entry level filters like Super Tech and Fram.

Or raise their profit margin to Fram's. I wonder if the undersized ST they are recommending now in place of the ST 3950 has more media than the L 10193? May try one on my next oil change. If I can't buy a good filter any more, may as well use a low priced one.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I don't know about the Walmarts in your area, but the ST-3950 has been on closeout for $1 for the past 6 months.

My Walmart NEVER clearance prices any oils or filters
frown.gif
. If it doesn't sell they "trash it" rather than discount it
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

It depends on local store managers, I bought more than 10 quarts M1 0W20 and 0W40 for $2/qt on clearance shelf a year ago at a Walmart in middle of heavy Hispanic population. Most of the cars in that WM parking lot were more than 10 years old, those drivers think they need thick 10W40 or 20W50, not the thin 0Wxx.

for my 626 the Fram part# is the same as the supertech part# except for the letter that precedes it. makes me think its a reboxed fram, so ST is a no-go for me.

i found this out yesterday, Advance Auto's TotalGrip housebrand filters are apparently the same thing as a Purolator L-series is less than $2!!!

Supertechs are entirely different from Fram, and may have more media than Purolator L series. Purolator is under new ownership and no longer the same filter it was in the past.

Also, Purolator used to have a "Group 7" filter with a larger micron rating on the media allowing larger dirt particles to pass. Some quick-lube places use this filter, so it is possible low end house brands might use this as well.

Originally Posted By: hal
for my 626 the Fram part# is the same as the supertech part# except for the letter that precedes it. makes me think its a reboxed fram, so ST is a no-go for me.

Couldnt be further from the truth. You didnt think to actually compare the filters to see if they were similar?

well haven't been on in awhile, but this sucks,

i hope the motorcrafts don't go the way of the purolators as well.

but if so, i guess i'll be going all out wix pretty soon.

You know, I read a lot of anecdotal information about how Purolator quality is deteriorating. Well, I'm from Missouri (not really) and you'll have to show me proof. Until I see the changes I'll go by the filter study listed in the link below.

I've used AAP Total Grip (with 4k UOA), $2.88 my apps, and been very satisfied. Slighty less media than Puro PP (now Classic),and rated 96%/94%. I've used Puro PP and Pure One 99% efficient. Currently have Total Grip's and Pure One's in my stash.

Also IMO, Motorcraft is one fine filter for the money. So all in all, I like Purolator for value, quality and availability, and the textured grip on AAP TG and Pure One.

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

i hope the motorcrafts don't go the way of the purolators as well.

don't worry. it is only effecting purolator's generic brands (pro-line, quakerstate etc...). motorcraft is not considered a generic brand, it is considered a main line brand. infact motocraft filters are better than the purolator premium series due to the bypass valve being at the top of the filter (near the adv)

One thing I will say about Purolator that I've been very impressed with is their customer service. Everytime I've had a question or concern, I've always gotten a full and thorough response from either their customer service rep or one of their engineers. You can't beat that.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
One thing I will say about Purolator that I've been very impressed with is their customer service. Everytime I've had a question or concern, I've always gotten a full and thorough response from either their customer service rep or one of their engineers. You can't beat that.

That is funny. I just asked them a few questions and they were very polite and informative. I love purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back