Purolator Date Code Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Based on info I got from Purolator, here's the date code "Rosetta stone".

PurolatorOilFilterDateCode.png

Looks good. Confirms was I stated several times in the other recent date code thread about 'U' being 2008, based on the two newer P1's posted with the U code.
grin.gif

Also, seems Purolator must have responded to a request for the date code identifier.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yes sayjac, your "forensics" were right on.
grin.gif

And let me guess what you're thinking. 'Even a blind squirrel.....'. You know the rest.
56.gif

But good work on getting Puro to give up the code. Guess everyone's not sleeping in the PRO.

And for all the grief here, seems Puro should get some props too for this at least.

^^^ Actually, you're deduction was spot on - impressive. Doubt a blind squirrel would have found the right answer. I figured Purolator would have used the last 5 letters of the alphabet, but they don't.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I tried the codes on some classics, codes show up as 1992 + 1993, box says 2009 ?

B & C can also mean 2010 & 2011 ... so the box having a 2009 copyright date makes sense. The table repeats the alphabet.

The Classics where not even called "Classic" back in 1992 - 1993.

Why take a chance Stay far away from tearolators ... We used them and group 7 also made by them for over 20-25 years but when i e mailed them TWICE i got no responce at all we will never use them again at my shop and lots of other shops feel the same way.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Problem is I moved away from that location in 2010 ?????

The date on the box just signifies when the design of the box happened. You could have a filter that was made in 2012 in a box with the "2009" design. The box date and filter date don't always coincide.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Based on info I got from Purolator, here's the date code "Rosetta stone".

PurolatorOilFilterDateCode.png

Thanks for directing me here ZeeOSix, very good info!!

Should I be worried about using a filter that has a 2009 code? It's the new style P1, so I don't think it's from 1991. I ordered some from Amazon about a year or so ago, and they shipped some of the old blue ones, I used those right away, I knew they were ancient.

Good information here for manufacturing dating of Purolator filters. Recently found (5) Pure One filters misplaced in a box in the back hallway. They were manufactured in 2005. I had written 64 pleats on the outside of the box. I don't know where I got this information back in 2005. I don't have concern about the age of the filter or that the medium will rip. I am going to use them for 6 month OCI.

Those older blue PureOnes are better than the yellow ones. Make sure to check the sealing gasket, I had some blue ones with dry rotting. They might have been okay to use just watch for leaks

Thanks for the recommendation. I put some packing tape across the baseplate of the filters before storing them on the shelf and forgetting about them. Don't remember doing that. Pulled back the tape to inspect them and they look brand new.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
So excuse my ignorance, but what are the dates to avoid?

June 2012 to November 2014

Date codes starting with F##E, F**F, FxxG

## 06-12
** 01-12
xx 01-11

Here is a spreadsheet documenting reported failures on BITOG.

Also note that some filters tear more than others; the 14610 is the most-torn filter, and there are no reported 14612 failures. The 14612 is a shorty version of the 14610. Something to do with the length relative to the diameter.

Dates to avoid? Come on people buy a quality oil filter already, seriously!!

Buy something Wix (unless they change the design) or an Ultra..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back