Purolator Bypass Valve Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of switching from the OEM Toyota filter to the PureONE on my 2005 Tacoma V6. The PureONE for it is the PL10241.

I noticed this particular filter has a different design on the bypass valve ... it's in the dome end (labman's favorite
wink.gif
) but doesn't look like the usual flat "45 record adaptor" flat spring that Purolator uses on other filter models.

The bypass in the PL10241 (and some others I've noticed) sticks down inside the center tube and has a square U shaped bracket that is spot welded to the top metal end plate of the element. You can kind of see it in the photo below.

PL10241.jpg

Does anyone have a photo of a dissected Purolator showing the details of this bypass valve design? I'd like to know more about it.

That looks similar to Champs old coil spring loaded bypass design. I wish Purolator would at least step up to a design like that, and it looks like they have!

That flat spring/disk design - I don't like it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

That flat spring/disk design - I don't like it.

I know they use the flat spring/disk design on a lot of filters. It's a simple, fool proof design IMO. I'm wondering if the flat spring has spring constant characteristics similar to the coil spring.

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine
If it matters, I use the PL10241 on my 1995 Toyota Avalon.

I ordered two PL20195 from Amazon.com today because they seem to be a longer version of the PL10241:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1354032
http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL20195-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000H7WANQ

You might want to consider using the PL20195 in place of the PL10241. If the PL20195 fits my Avalon, I will be switching to it in the future.

Interesting ... thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif

Wow, the 20195 is almost 1.5" longer ... that's quite a bit. Off hand, I don't see any other real differences.

PL20195
O.D. 2.98
Height 4.74

PL10241
O.D. 2.98
Height 3.36

PL20195.jpg

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Wow, the 20195 is almost 1.5" longer ... that's quite a bit. Off hand, I don't see any other real differences.

That's the oversize Tacoma filter number I run on my 4 cylinder. (L or PL) 20195 = Wix 51516
I just memorized 2000 Ford F-150, 4.2 L V-6...because that was the last new truck I looked at buying.
So I look it up in the filter books as if I had that truck, and *bingo* oversize Tacoma filter!
Same diameter, threads, and bypass settings. Just longer and more media.

From Purolator:

Dear Ms. Hull,
Is there a Purolator filter that is ~3" diameter and 4" to 4-1/4" long with 3/4"-16 threads and had a bypass valve setting
in the 12 -15 psi range? Or is there a list/chart of Purolator spin-on filters that I can look through?
Thank you
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:01 PM
To: Hull Katrina (AA-FI/MKT1-NA)
Subject: RE: Looking for an alternate oil filter size
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catalog show two 3in. Diameters, but they are a little taller.

Ht

4.74 L20195
4.74 L25230

Best regards,
Brian
Sr. Product Engineer, IAM Product Engineering | Purolator Filters NA LLC
3200 Natal St. | Fayetteville, NC 28306
Phone: 910-426-4279 | Fax: 910-425-9953

Originally Posted By: river_rat

That's the oversize Tacoma filter number I run on my 4 cylinder. (L or PL) 20195 = Wix 51516.

I'll make a note of that too for possible future reference. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
From Purolator:

Dear Ms. Hull,
Is there a Purolator filter that is ~3" diameter and 4" to 4-1/4" long with 3/4"-16 threads and had a bypass valve setting in the 12 -15 psi range? Or is there a list/chart of Purolator spin-on filters that I can look through?
Thank you
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 5:01 PM
To: Hull Katrina (AA-FI/MKT1-NA)
Subject: RE: Looking for an alternate oil filter size
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catalog show two 3in. Diameters, but they are a little taller.

Ht

4.74 L20195
4.74 L25230

Wonder what the difference is between the 20195 & 25230? The specs all look the same.
21.gif

So I picked up a PL20195 for the Tacoma tonight at K-Mart. I just changed the oil & filter 500 miles ago, but I decided I wanted a PureONE on it instead of the Toyota OEM. Just punch a hole in the top and to let it drain while hot and all night ... then will do the filter swap in the morning.
19.gif

The Toyota 90915-YZZD3 is pretty tall itself (~4.1") and the PL20195 at 4.75" will fit just fine ... plenty of room on the V6 setup.

Just curious, do you intend to run the exact same oil amount as before or add a few onces more for the longer filter? I'd probably just run the old capacity in it since there could be some drainback out of the longer filter.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Just curious, do you intend to run the exact same oil amount as before or add a few onces more for the longer filter? I'd probably just run the old capacity in it since there could be some drainback out of the longer filter.

I checked the oil level when hot (15 min after shutdown) before punching the hole in the Denso, and it was ~2mm over the full mark on the stick. Since most of the oil will drain back into the engine after I punched the hole in the Denso, (and it's going to drain all night), the level will probably be right on the full mark with the longer PureONE (3/4" longer than the Denso, which was 4" long).

I'll check the oil level hot again with the PureONE to verify, and will add a hair if needed.

Wonder what the difference is between the 20195 & 25230? The specs all look the same.
21.gif

According to Purolator, they only show 13 applications for the 25230:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/reso...5230&page=1

It looks like it has a different bypass valve setup than I've seen on any Purolators ... must be the difference between them. See photo - can see the bypass through the base hole.

PL25230.jpg

The Toyota 90915-YZZD3 is pretty tall itself (~4.1") and the PL20195 at 4.75" will fit just fine ... plenty of room on the V6 setup.

Me too. Mine hangs threaded side up off a filter mount that's low on the side of the block.
Nothing but air underneath it.

With my 6.1 qt sump, I just fill the filter all the way before I put it on and really don't adjust overall oil amount.
The difference in the extra 1.5" is just a few ounces of oil out of a big sump so I don't bother changing anything.

Like I say, I use the 20195, but I don't know what the difference is in the other one unless, like you say, it's a different bypass setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back