Purolator Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, I'd like to just mention this experience of mine without babbling too long so here goes.

Several years ago I bought a Purolator Air Filter for my '04 Altima 2.5S. Just the regular Puro, nothing special! It was on sale so I picked up one. Looks well made!

I still have the OE filter that the Altima came with along with a FRAM Air Hog.
Don't ya know that every single time I install this PURO filter I get the worst MPG tank after tank winter/summer it doesn't matter. I'll run this Puro for a month or so at a time and when I change back to the(a bit dirty) factory OE filter, my MPG jumps back up to the mid 20's.

I currently have the Puro in the car now! Yes the temps are cold but I'm going to change back to the factory and again see it my MPG jumps back up. I'll bet it does, even if just a little.

The Puro looks brand new/clean and the factory OE that came in the car looks dirty but when held up to the light, well, you can see the light! I'll finish this tankfull of gas, read the MPG and change to the factory filter again. The factory OE filter is free of debirs, just dirty looking with wavey pleats and the Purolator is perfect.

Mentioning that I also have a FRAM Air Hog, I use this only in summers and I don't really notice anything on either side of the spectrum but I bought it for 7 bucks/new(last one at PB's) and IMHO, the orange filter FRAM Air Hog has a K&N look to it.

I don't know how much the factory Nissan air filter cost but I'll guess it's in the teens or maybe $20 bucks. It doesn't look like anything special. It's made OK but, there is something about it that allows better MPG or maybe airflow. The Nissan paper element is actually kinda thick/restrictive looking. It has more pleats than the PURO.

Any comments? I'm just babbling!

As you know, I own a similar 03 2.5L Altima. Only used OEM when new, all other times a regular Fram. Only small issue with the Fram, is the thick rounded foam around the edge can make it tricky to install without tearing the foam.

Looked at a Puro filter at Kmart, it has a flatter composite edge material that looks easier to install.

As for your experience, nothing I know to explain it. I suppose, the Puro could be more restrictive than OEM, but difficult to imagine it's more restrictive than used/dirty OEM.
21.gif

I do know this time of year my mpg's drop because of winter blend gas. But, you said that doesn't seem to matter.

Could be wrong but I didnt think that mpg was effected by the cleanliness of an air filter in modern day engines. I heard the system adjusts itself to the amount of air restriction, and always provide optimal mpg...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As you know, I own a similar 03 2.5L Altima. Only used OEM when new, all other times a regular Fram. Only small issue with the Fram, is the thick rounded foam around the edge can make it tricky to install without tearing the foam.

Looked at a Puro filter at Kmart, it has a flatter composite edge material that looks easier to install.

As for your experience, nothing I know to explain it. I suppose, the Puro could be more restrictive than OEM, but difficult to imagine it's more restrictive than used/dirty OEM.
21.gif

I do know this time of year my mpg's drop because of winter blend gas. But, you said that doesn't seem to matter.

sayjac.
What I mean by comparing witer and summer MPG figures is...
Yes, my mileage drops in the winter like everyone elses. But, by using the Purolator air filter, it drops more than with the OEM.
In the summer when my MPG is back to normal(somewhere within the EPA rating), the MPG is still less with the PURO.

My Fram Air Hog is the same as your regular Fram A/F. It's tight to get the air filter cover back on due to the rubber gasket(foam edge) as you put it!

Yeah, I can't explain the PUROLATOR difference!

Sayjac,
How is you mileage on the Altima? Mine has an auto tranny.
In the summer time only(winter time the MPG is all over the map)...I can often get better than 25 mpg city(sometimes even 27 mpg city) but only scratches the bottom end of 30 mpg highway(sometimes only 27 mpg highway). I don't think the city mpg is too bad but, the highway could be better.

Last edited:
I got ~81k on mine, with auto trans. Summer might get 30 hwy at 65-70mph, ~24-25 city. Winter ~27hwy, 22-23 city, not great but, still in good shape so it's a keeper for now.

Understood what you meant about the summer/winter mpg and Puro filter. They way the air box clips toward the engine side, liked the looks of the flatter Puro gasket.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
But, by using the Purolator air filter, it drops more than with the OEM.

How much of a difference are you seeing? I don't question that you're seeing a difference, but I don't think it's because of the filter. If it is, there's something highly unusual going on. The incredibly small difference between two paper air filters (or even a cotton-gauze filter) does not translate into a measurable fuel economy difference. If you're measuring a MPG difference of at least 1 MPG, it's gotta be something else.

I've never had MPG go up or down after changing the AF, that I could notice. Then again, I don't let them go too long and I just use OEM filters on newer cars and Frams and house brands that look decently made on the other cars.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
But, by using the Purolator air filter, it drops more than with the OEM.

How much of a difference are you seeing? I don't question that you're seeing a difference, but I don't think it's because of the filter. If it is, there's something highly unusual going on. The incredibly small difference between two paper air filters (or even a cotton-gauze filter) does not translate into a measurable fuel economy difference. If you're measuring a MPG difference of at least 1 MPG, it's gotta be something else.

Im seeing at least 10%. This has been going on for several years now. Swapping back and fourth between the filters from tank to tank and measuring the MPG on each tank. Or keeping one filter in for 3-4 tanks and swapping out for the other for about the same. The Puro is always less MPG...ALWAYS!

The Puro has less pleats and the inside diameter of the Puro filter is smaller although the outside measurements are the same as OEM, fitting in the air box with the same fit. The Puro fits well. The Puro has metal edging around the filter along with the rubber seal at the top where it meets the air box cover, making the filter look/feel better constructed.
The OEM just has the rubber seal at the top with no other construction around the filter. The OEM filter feels quite sturdy actually!

I'm thinking that the Puro's inside measurements being smaller and the media being maybe a bit thicker/sturdier has everything to do with the MPG drop...IDK!

I just filled up the tank. My last 3 tanks with the Puro were 21.XX MPG/city. I'll change back to the OEM and hopefully the next several tanks of gas will rise back up to over 23 MPG/city. My daily driving is consistant. I drive around town and the local area using the same on ramp/off ramp on the expressway. Sound a bit boaring? I'll keep the OEM filter on for the rest of the winter for measurement/MPG reasons. I also expect dip/spikes in MPG. It's consistancy that I'll be looking for. I have been measuring my MPG in all of my vehicles for, going on 5 decades

Last edited:
I go back to something I said earlier: you have something highly unusual going on here. It seems like the physical differences in the Purolator filter may change the characteristics of airflow through your system. If you have an air intake sensor or mass air sensor immediately downstream of the filter, they may be getting turbulent air with one filter design over the other.

Again, I don't question that you're seeing the difference. But it's highly unusual.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I go back to something I said earlier: you have something highly unusual going on here. It seems like the physical differences in the Purolator filter may change the characteristics of airflow through your system. If you have an air intake sensor or mass air sensor immediately downstream of the filter, they may be getting turbulent air with one filter design over the other.

Again, I don't question that you're seeing the difference. But it's highly unusual.

True! I do have something unusual going on here. And I won't know on this particular tank of gas(changed filter back to OE) because the temps warmed up considerably and I went on a longer than usual expressway trip on this tank which, I'm certain will show better MPG.

In all of my years of driving and experimenting with e.g., free flow air filters as compared to OE filter, I have never noticed much on anything(MPG, performance or throttle responce) with the free flowing filters themselves. Which is why I am surprised by consistantly seeing the MPG difference between the OE filter and the after market Purolator OE replacement filter...And as I mentioned earlier, I also have a FRAM Air Hog and I don't notice and difference in MPG between the HOG and OEM.

The MPG drop with the Purolator is so consistant that I wonder why I never threw it away/gave it away. It's too late to return it to the store and complain. The MPG drop with the Puro is the only complaint that I have with it. Othewise I notice nothing else, pro/con.

When the temps drop again throughout the winter, I'll keep records on the MPG with the OE installed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think you have a flow "volume" thing going on here, like the Purolator is more restrictive or less restrictive or whatever. A guess is that you have some very weird turbulence or something like that going on with that particular Purolator filter. Could you take a photo of the Purolator and the OEM filter side-by-side? And also, a picture under the air box lid (the downstream side of the filter) and maybe where your IAT/MAF sensors are?

Hokiefyd,
Yeah, I can take photo's but, because this isn't my forte' and I don't have anywhere to put the pictures in order to send them here, It'll take me a week or more. So, I'll have a friend help me with this. But, I'll get them!

Most likely I'll post them here and also send you a PM as well with the pictures included. With the pictures, I'd also like to show measurements and different views. I think I'll take pictures of all 3 filters; Standard Purolator replacement filter, OEM and FRAM Air Hog.

It'll be interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
I have used them without issue or questions for many engines over the years. I still have some in the garage from the '80s still in the box(s) for other vehicles. This one Puro for this '04 Altima has me questioning the interior volume and why every time I use it, I get lesser MPG...Every single time!

I have currently reinstalled the Puro in my Altima for another test. Although the winter time is a bit tougher to gague MPG but, I'm doin' it!...Again!

Last edited:
I have used them without issue or questions for many engines over the years. I still have some in the garage from the '80s still in the box(s) for other vehicles. This one Puro for this '04 Altima has me questioning the interior volume and why every time I use it, I get lesser MPG...Every single time!

I have currently reinstalled the Puro in my Altima for another test. Although the winter time is a bit tougher to gague MPG but, I'm doin' it!...Again!

I have to remove the statement about reinstalling the PURO filter...I just reinstalled the OEM.

I just filled up the tank. My last 3 tanks with the Puro were 21.XX MPG/city. I'll change back to the OEM and hopefully the next several tanks of gas will rise back up to over 23 MPG/city.

Intersting. I recently installed a Purolator AF and I've been getting 21 MPG. That's the absolute bottom of the EPA estimate for my car's city MPG, and it's lower than most other owners' ratings I've seen on fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov. The car is new to me and I have not measured MPG with any other filter. Now it's going to bother me until I replace that thing...

glum,

What year, vehicle and engine/tranny do you have?
Do you still have the other air filter/what brand?

I still haven't made a comparison/measurements of all 3 of the air filters that I have for my Altima. Also, I'm in the process of gathering more MPG figures for this winter with the OE filter reinstalled as compared to the Purolator A/F.

It's been cold here to say the least. My driving is consistant. I use the cruise control often even around town.

What year, vehicle and engine/tranny do you have? Do you still have the other air filter/what brand?

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2.4L with 4-speed AT. I've had the car a couple months. Purchased with 44K miles. It had the original OEM filter in it when I bought it. (As you can imagine, the filter was horrendously dirty.)

Since installing the Purolator, I've purchased a couple more OEM air filters. (That's just how I am--I like stocking up.)

I bought OEM because I wasn't impressed with the seal on the Purolator once I saw it. I still have half a mind to remove it and put an OEM in there, since I've been wondering if the seal is doing its job. Maybe I'll swap it for an OEM just to test MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back