Purolator 14610 differences....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Purolator Boss 14610 has a different base plate than the red Purolator... Concave vs convex... And I have read where on certain applications the convex one has led to major leaks.

I'm glad the Boss has the correct base plate for my car. Though I am quite sure the other would be ok has well. The old 51356 Wix or Napa gold filters worked just fine on my car's oil filter set up. The 57356 was added to make sure more threads caught the outlet threaded end. The issues from what I have read have been motorcycles.

IMG_20190206_233233905.jpg

IMG_20190206_233212575.jpg

Last edited:
Strange that the base plate would be different (convex vs. concave) on the same filter model number. The convexed baseplate certainly could be a problem on some engines.

Can't see why it would make a difference on the average engine.
The Boss might, just might, flow a bit more oil, but unless pushed
at high RPM, there shouldn't be much difference.
Neither should matter leak wise. Gasket material would be a better
suspect.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by dwendt44
Neither should matter leak wise.

If the mounting spud on the engine side sticks out too far from the gasket seat, a filter with too much convex in the base plate could contact and bottom out on the spud before the gasket is totally sealed. I've heard that happening in some cases.

I've only seen issues with the change of the design on my motorcycles and atv's that have hex around the base of the stud that is used to tighten it into the block or filter adapter, if it doesn't have the hex then it shouldn't be an issue.

the changing of the convex prevents the filter from tightening down properly because of the center of the baseplate hits the filter stud hex (if it has that style stud) and the o-ring doesn't fully seat, it might leak immediately or develop a leak later on.

chances are the only reason the boss has the concave is because its old stock and the new ones that come in will probably be changed.

purolator filters that i used along with the quakerstate filters and bosch filters have changed to the new baseplate so I can no longer use them on my atvs or cycles

Last edited:
My thought is the Boss was manufactured after the Red one....

Boss is 2016 August the 3rd

Red 2015 September the 22nd..

Last edited:
When used on the specified application, it will not matter.
When you start using filters designed for one engine on another engine not specified, you could have issues (as said, the issue is using a "car" filter on a motorcycle that it is not designed for, even though the threads and gasket size are the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back