Purge valve

That valve looks like it is connected to a intake air door control vacuum motor. They use these to warm engine intake air. The failure mode on these is open which means that it never gets warmed intake air. This will not throw a CEL. These have been used on vehicles since the 1960s.

Last edited:
That valve looks like it is connected to a intake air door control vacuum motor. They use these to warm engine intake air. The failure mode on these is open which means that it never gets warmed intake air. This will not throw a CEL. These have been used on vehicles since the 1960s.

PCM should be able to detect an open circuit.

PCM should be able to detect an open circuit.
It doesn't, at least not on my Toyota, and apparently not on the OP's. Several years ago some people were espousing unplugging this to get increased gas mileage and horsepower. I tried it on my Toyota, it did not improve performance or gas mileage, but it was not detrimental in any way either (as far as I could tell). I didn't see or feel any difference so I reconnected it.
It may very well be that a previous owner cut these wires on-purpose because of something he read.

Last edited:
Back