PureOne PL14477 cut open

This one goes out to the veterans that remember these filters...
Filter was in use for about 5k and 8 months in the 04 Corolla, filtering Mobil Super5000 10W-30. Mostly short tripped.
Even though it sat draining for more than 2 months, it was still full of oil.
The only thing I see wrong with it is the beginning of a tear near the seam, it's in the photos.
IMG_8392.jpg
IMG_8401.jpg
IMG_8393.jpg
IMG_8394.jpg
IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_8396.jpg
IMG_8397.jpg
IMG_8398.jpg
IMG_8399.jpg
IMG_8400.jpg

Old, gold Pure One-from the days when a metal seam crimp seemed to cause tears in adjacent pleats. Guessing flexing, but no one was ever really sure.
It wasn't the metal crimp on the seam that caused the adjacent pleats to tear ... it was always the two widely spaced pleats on either side of the seam that typically tore. A metal crimp seam on the seam pleat would prevent it from bending and tearing ... look how straight the seam pleat is, it can't flex at all due to the metal crimp making it un-bendable by the oil flow.

Last edited:
It wasn't the metal crimp on the seam that caused the adjacent pleats to tear ... it was always the two widely spaced pleats on either side of the seam that typically tore. A metal crimp seam on the seam pleat would prevent it from bending and tearing ... look how straight the seam pleat is, it can't flex at all due to the metal crimp making it un-bendable by the oil flow.
Yes, but the glued ones had the same spacing & didn't tear (Quaker State & some Classics). Guess the media was just weak enough that the metal crimp ones couldn't handle it. I have a few of the gold Pure Ones left, but I'm unlikely to risk them, they're getting too old now.

Yes, but the glued ones had the same spacing & didn't tear (Quaker State & some Classics). Guess the media was just weak enough that the metal crimp ones couldn't handle it. I have a few of the gold Pure Ones left, but I'm unlikely to risk them, they're getting too old now.
I've seen plenty of torn filters here that had a glued seam, and it was still typically the widely spaced plates on either side of the seam that bent over and tore. The type of seam doesn't effect how the wide plates next to the seam react/bend to oil flow dP.

BTW, this thread was recently posted. No metal crimped seam, and the media shows the classic wide pleat tear.

Back