Pure soybean oil as a fuel additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the heck of it I put 2oz of pure soybean oil into about 2.5 gallons of gas in my motorcycle. I rode for a while, and didn't notice a single difference in performance, and no audible detonation even with regular unleaded. I had probably 10 miles on the tank, and I went and filled up, adding roughly 2.5 gallons. I rode about 40 miles, and then I started to ride a bit more "spirited". Shifting to 2nd at redline (11.5K) suddenly the bike started missing. It never went away, so I decided I may have fouled the plugs, and set about replacing them. Well the plugs were very loose when I removed them, and the threads had oil on them. Apparently soybean oil makes a darned good penetrating lubricant.....

At 500:1 it may not hurt anything, but I wonder how much it could help, really. I would use an inexpensive 2-stroke oil before adding vegetable oil.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Just for the heck of it I put 2oz of pure soybean oil into about 2.5 gallons of gas in my motorcycle. I rode for a while, and didn't notice a single difference in performance, and no audible detonation even with regular unleaded. I had probably 10 miles on the tank, and I went and filled up, adding roughly 2.5 gallons. I rode about 40 miles, and then I started to ride a bit more "spirited". Shifting to 2nd at redline (11.5K) suddenly the bike started missing. It never went away, so I decided I may have fouled the plugs, and set about replacing them. Well the plugs were very loose when I removed them, and the threads had oil on them. Apparently soybean oil makes a darned good penetrating lubricant.....

That works out to 160:1.
For years I've used vegetable oil, all types but mostly canola of late, as an upper cylinder lube, in concentrations as high as 80:1 and have never noticed any negative effects.
I could be all wet, but my thinking is, all veg' oils are natural esters and polar, so short of an expensive two cycle oil it seems a good bet.

Has there ever been an independant test on UCL's as too their effectiveness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back