Purchased a couple Carquest Premium/Blue 84356

The were 20% off at AAP making them ~$6.30 so figured I'd grab a couple for my stash. I noticed they have nitrile sealing gasket (p-type), which doesn't bother me. In decades of diy, all I've ever used standard type nitrile, never an issue. Unlike an adbv, 'personally' don't see much advantage to silicone in sealing gasket. Ran OG Ultra and Bosch D+ 2 ocis to ~14k miles each with nitrile gaskets, all good. I digress. Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase and price. Fwiw, other than one Napa Gold 1348 which turned out to be made in Mexico, first non-US made spin on filter I've bought in as long as I can remember.

P1020542.JPG

P1020545.JPG

P1020543.JPG

The were 20% off at AAP making them ~$6.30 so figured I'd grab a couple for my stash. I noticed they have nitrile sealing gasket (p-type), which doesn't bother me. In decades of diy, all I've ever used standard type nitrile, never an issue. Unlike an adbv, 'personally' don't see much advantage to silicone in sealing gasket. Ran OG Ultra and Bosch D+ 2 ocis to ~14k miles each with nitrile gaskets, all good. I digress. Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase and price. Fwiw, other than one Napa Gold 1348 which turned out to be made in Mexico, first non-US made spin on filter I've bought in as long as I can remember.

View attachment 221660
View attachment 221670
View attachment 221671
Nice buy!!

My only CQ Premium on hand has the silicone gasket, I don’t know if it’s a size thing or COO or if they have discontinued them. Like you I don’t think it matters much but if they are going to give it to me I will take it.

... Do you plant to C&P after use?
Absolutely. When that will be though, could be a while.

My only CQ Premium on hand has the silicone gasket, I don’t know if it’s a size thing or COO or if they have discontinued them. Like you I don’t think it matters much but if they are going to give it to me I will take it.
I can't remember if when I looked at one months ago if it was silicone or not. Either way, fine by me.

I also just purchased some Carquest premium 84356 filters, but all mine are marked as made in Vietnam. I thought these were the same as the Microguard Select filters from there. Maybe you got old stock? 🤔

I also just purchased some Carquest premium 84356 filters, but all mine are marked as made in Vietnam. I thought these were the same as the Microguard Select filters from there. Maybe you got old stock? 🤔
At least as far as the can goes, afaik never the same as MG Select with texture. I seem to recall that when I looked it was China and a couple members recently posted/linked* the CQ 84356 they purchased, same coo. Best I can tell from date code, appears what I got made sometime in 2023. Anecdotes I've seen of both coo, element quality seems the same. Seeing as neither US made, as long quality same, just a PGI factory choice. And again, the price was right.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/carquest-premium-84502-c-p.382513/page-4#post-6886234

I bought several with the Advance Auto 20% off as well. they all had the nitrile gasket, too.
Thanks for that info. Not that it's hugely important, but wonder what first two digits are in your date code? I think that's the year made. Beyond that I have no clue how to decipher rest of PGI date code. Anyone got an in with PGI and can crack the date code format, truly be a champ here. 🏆

Thanks for that info. Not that it's hugely important, but wonder what first two digits are in your date code? I think that's the year made. Beyond that I have no clue how to decipher rest of PGI date code. Anyone got an in with PGI and can crack the date code format, truly be a champ here. 🏆
Not sure, but I will take a look when I get home tonight. Are the nitrile gaskets less than? I wouldn't think so, especially not for the 5,000-mile OCI's I do. At least I hope not!

Not sure, but I will take a look when I get home tonight. Are the nitrile gaskets less than? I wouldn't think so, especially not for the 5,000-mile OCI's I do. At least I hope not!
As mentioned in this thread, when it comes to sealing gasket imo 'maybe' a small advantage to silicone. If you look at current extended oci filters like Fram Endurance, Royal Purple and Amsoil, all use nitrile. The CQ is rated to 10k miles and has silicone adbv, I wouldn't sweat the nitrile sealing gasket as a limiting factor to that.

I was wondering too how they are formatting the date code. I'll send an email to PG to see if they will give the decoder ring to their date code. I'm not holding my breath because I send an email to them about 2 weeks ago asking about their efficiency claims and never heard back anything from them.

Here's a few examples of PG made filter date codes.

22MRD09
23MRD19
23MRN01

If I had to give a guess on how to read these date codes, I'd say the "MR" in the code is for something else. I think the letter before the two last numbers is the month code - ie, "A" = Jan, "B" = Feb, etc.

So 22MRD09 would be Apr 9, 2022.

If I get a reply from PG to my inquiry, I'll pass on their answer.

Here's a few examples of PG made filter date codes.

22MRD09
23MRD19
23MRN01

If I had to give a guess on how to read these date codes, I'd say the "MR" in the code is for something else. I think the letter before the two last numbers is the month code - ie, "A" = Jan, "B" = Feb, etc.

So 22MRD09 would be Apr 9, 2022.

If I get a reply from PG to my inquiry, I'll pass on their answer.
I've seen 24MHM22, so it doesn't work for that.

I've seen 24MHM22, so it doesn't work for that.
MR, MH etc could be a code for something else, like the factory or line or something beside related to the date. Also, some letters can be skipped for the month code (like "I" because it looks like a "1") ... many who use letters for the month skip "I".

Back