Carquest Premium 84502 C&P

To make things even more confusing, on the Premium Guard website for the PG2500EX filter, they list it as having:

“99% Multi-Pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 25 microns”.

If you scroll down to the Product Specifications, it show the micron rating as 42~60.

View attachment 219323

View attachment 219324

It gets more convoluted as if you have seen Whipcitywrencher's videos on many of the Premium Guard cut opens, the media varies depending on the country of origin. Vietnamese made ones have very good looking pore density from his microscope images, the Chinese made ones have a more varied look but still looks good and comparable to US made cellulose blend filters.

It would be nice if there was Premium Guard rep here to clear up confusion however I think efficiency figures varies due to different media suppliers they are sourcing from as they majority of their stuff is made overseas with contract manufacturing relations. Its kinda like how Apple sources all sorts of crap from far east Asia to slap in their products and marks them up to a premium.

To make things even more confusing, on the Premium Guard website for the PG2500EX filter, they list it as having:

“99% Multi-Pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 25 microns”.

If you scroll down to the Product Specifications, it show the micron rating as 42~60.

View attachment 219323

View attachment 219324
There's the nebulous efficiency statements again ... directly from Premium Guard. There's a reason it's stated that way. The "Micron Rating" shown as 42~60 microns means something - it would typically be the "absolute" efficiency, basically meaning all particles larger than that are captured. Their website shows the 42~60u a range, which is probably meant to cover the range of all filter models they make. Same with the statement "and removal of particles as small as 25 microns" ... it doesn't specifically say 99% at 25u. Maybe an email to PG to get clarification is the next step.

Last edited:
When Fram and Champ shipped filters that did not meet their own spec, for whatever reason, they would have violated their own ISO production rules. No matter how vague you want to make your ISO quality policy you have to match your own spec, or change the spec. So when Fram shipped filters with the wrong ADBV they clearly violated their factory ISO procedures. So you want me to believe they follow ISO 4548-12 because they print it on the box.
I'd have to dig down into ISO production rules to see if there is any clause that allows parts substitutions when the normal parts supply chain is broken, specifically to an assembled part like an oil filter. If the substation of a nitrile ADBV for a silicone ADBV still allows the filter to meet the performance specs, then maybe it's allowed to keep production going. Lots of filters rated for 10K OCIs or less have a nitrile ADBV.

As far as thier efficiency statements, we know they were at least accurate on the OG Ultra after Ascent's testing. I think it would be a bad move for any large filter maker to make fause statements about efficiency because other big filter companies watch eath other about that stuff. They will even test other brands in thier lab to verify the performance of competitors. That's why some of these efficiency statments are written in a nebulous way, thereby still getting by legally while trying to make it look better than it really is.

Reading all the efficiency info about the CQ (and others) was thinking along a similar line. CQ has gone through so many manufacturers (iirc, Champ, Wix, Puro) to PGI now. Who knows when the efficiency info last updated for publication. While I'm not sure I can assume the CQ Premium is same as other equivalent PGI and PGI made filters, it's probably not a huge leap imo.

That said, when I decide to buy a CQ Premium 84356, it will be because of price for construction type and quality seen here, above precise efficiency citing data.

Plan to use that in the fall . I'd also consider the other oil filters in this thread .

Last edited:
Reading all the efficiency info about the CQ (and others) was thinking along a similar line. CQ has gone through so many manufacturers (iirc, Champ, Wix, Puro) to PGI now. Who knows when the efficiency info last updated for publication. While I'm not sure I can assume the CQ Premium is same as other equivalent PGI and PGI made filters, it's probably not a huge leap imo.

That said, when I decide to buy a CQ Premium 84356, it will be because of price for construction type and quality seen here, above precise efficiency citing data.
I grabbed one today for my daughter’s Acura. It’s the leak tested made in China version. Was hoping for Vietnam.

290863CC-7E46-43BA-96FB-5E112F93D3CC.jpg

I grabbed one today for my daughter’s Acura. It’s the leak tested made in China version. Was hoping for Vietnam.

View attachment 219358
Pretty sure when I looked at the CQ Prem 84356 it was made in China too. Either way, ones I've seen from both countries have looked to be of very similar quality. In this case with PGI made, coo not a big deal for me.

Ordered a couple Carquest Premium 84356. Its the Fram 7317 Nissan / Honda standard size with a couple air filters I needed. Home delivery free >$35 plus online discount, so pricing was good.

Leak tested - made in China version.

Looks pretty much identical except for the baseplate to the Ecogard Synthetic I got from Walmart around christmas. The baseplate actually matches the one on the standard ecogard I got at the same time.

There's the nebulous efficiency statements again ... directly from Premium Guard. There's a reason it's stated that way. The "Micron Rating" shown as 42~60 microns means something - it would typically be the "absolute" efficiency, basically meaning all particles larger than that are captured. Their website shows the 42~60u a range, which is probably meant to cover the range of all filter models they make. Same with the statement "and removal of particles as small as 25 microns" ... it doesn't specifically say 99% at 25u. Maybe an email to PG to get clarification is the next step.
Even better for CQ Premium since AAPs website lists:

• Synthetic blend media provides 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns and 2X capacity vs. Standard filters

For the CQ Premium 84356.

Back