Pump accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happens more often than not IMO. I recently got gas for the lawn mower in my 5 gal. The pump registered 5.8, with the corresponding price. I complained to the cashier, and refused to pay for more than 5 gallons. Then I called the weights and measures folks whose number was convieniently listed on the inspection sticker on the pump, and reported the thieves.

Portable gas containers routinely hold more than the size they're labeled. Example: gallon containers often hold 1.3, 5 gal. containers hold 5.8, etc. Just another variable to account for....

Somebody got caught doing this in Detroit a couple months ago. He got caught the same way Don reported -- he filled more fuel than he knew the tank would hold. The fine was that the station owner had to sell gasoline at a reduced price for some time.

I got "caught" by a pump as it ran out of gas, got perhaps 3 or 4 gallons in before the pump went dry.
Trouble was that as it ran out it just pumped air - no gas, and very quickly!
By the time I realised what was going on, I had run it up to 40 gallons, and I knew I would be paying for that air.

I just kept my hand on the nozzle until it read 300, then there was no disputing it - went to the booth and told them it was just spinning on empty.

Check your gas mileage regularly. If you see a sudden drop in mileage after pumping more than your tank's capacity then you can be reasonably sure there is a gas pump calibration problem.

MORE than likely a pump calibration problem. I once filled a 4.5L gas can (to the indicated line) with 5 litres flat. Tell me thats not ufcked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back