Pumkin Turkey Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds weird but it's healthy and very good. Sorry for no pics. The canned pumkin adds a creamy consistency and you can hardly tell it's in there when eating it. Pretty easy to make.

Makes 6 Servings

Ingredients

1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup diced frozen)

1 bell pepper chopped (1 cup tri-color frozen chopped)

1 tsp diced jalapeno (mt. olive jar) *optional*

2 cloves garlic finely chopped (2 tsp jar diced garlic)

1 pound Jennio-O Store ground turkey (or equivalent)

14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with their liquid

15 oz canned pumpkin

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 tsp Durkee ground cumin

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed

2 tsp olive oil

1 cup water

Instructions

•Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, jalapenos and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until tender.

•Add turkey and cook until browned.

•Add tomatoes, pumpkin, 1 cup water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.Reduce heat to low, add beans.

•Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.

That sounds very good; thank you for the instructions or recipe sir. I may try making this tomorrow since I have the day off

I can attest to the fact that this recipe is excellent!!

We just got back from a weekend trip, and weren't sure what to do for dinner. I saw this recipe, and we realized that we had all the ingredients... So we thawed some turkey and made it...

I wasn't sure how the black beans would make it look, but it was a wonderful combination of colors, so I took a picture before:

A48281DF-5BA0-4A8A-B9BE-3C22655F87C2_zpsxgiimwr2.jpg

And after:

54E21BCA-7AB7-4037-83D2-0CEA397D2C1D_zps3pm4adrt.jpg

IMO the pumpkin really makes it!

Looks real good! I actually used dark red kidney beans instead of the black beans that were called for and it was still good. Also used a red bell pepper and went with Butterball ground turkey. The turkey sure is a lot nicer to brown than red meat and not as gross imo. Plus the turkey is only $3/lb. and goes on sale for $2/lb. I was going to drain the fat after browning but there wasn't much of it.

Next I want to try a turkey meatloaf recipe from Giada on the food network that my mom mentioned. It has some feta cheese in it along with sun dried tomato for flavor.

Here's the meatloaf recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada...oes-recipe.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back