CALCIUM 2963
MAGNESIUM 26
PHOSPHORUS 674
ZINC 822
BARIUM 0

TBN 4.2
SUS 53.8
cST 8.43

-First UOA on this vehicle, been running 5w20 winter and 5w30 summer (differing brands/filter combos)
- Engine seems to love the P.U. Quietest valvetrain combo yet.
- All Elements and Properties were equal or better than Universal Averages even with a run 1300 miles longer than average.
- Using Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter (14459)
- Ill be pushing this oil another 2000 miles

Wonder how that engine would like PP. I mention that because according to the UOA's posted on here my GM 3800 sheds higher amounts of copper and aluminum with different oils for some reason. PP the least. Not that yours is high or anything wrong, just thought I'd mention it.

Previous OCI was PP 5w20. I went with PU since I got the Oil filter for free so I just used the difference on upgrading the oil. I might go back to PP but its hard to argue with the PU and knowing its cleaning any mess that might be in there.

WM right now has the Fram ultra on sale here for less than 10 each so ill probably go with one of those the next round. I'm tempted to try the Bosch distance plus but at $3 more per, I just can't imagine it's that much better than what I have been using.

I'm running the Fram Ultra for 2X7K OCI's. No issues. Your signature can be..

2005 Kia Sportage EX V6 ULTRA/ULTRA
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: casper
Sm

Explains the high levels of Boron. Its significantly reduced in the SN version if I am not wrong

Just changed oil after the 2000 mile extra run.

UOA is in process.

Could not find PU for a reasonable price....went with Castrol Edge 5w20 w/Fram ultra for this next run. Only after I had already purchased the 5 qt jug of Edge, did I even see the 5 qt jug of PP.

On a side note..
I'm left a less that great feeling with the Purolator Syn filter. Seemed like a lot of oil came out of the filter when I pulled it off the vehicle. Maybe the ADV on this one wasn't so hot.

Good news, or maybe bad, is that there were some large enough pieces of sludge/carbon in the filter that they'd could be seen easily. Good that they are coming out....bad they were in there in the first place.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with jumping to 10K miles and then doing another UOA with TBN. The oil didn't shear down, the wear metals are fine and the TBN still high, so there was no need to change it. Once you have got the figures for 10K then try an 0 or 5/30 and check again.

Update.

7500 total miles on sample.

total PPM stated below, change in ()

Iron 6 (1)
Lead 2 (2)
Potassium 3 (2)
Boron 237 (-33)
Calcium 2863 (-100)
Manganese 28 (2)
Phos 643 (-31)
Zinc 798 (-24)

SUS 53.0 (-0.8)
Cst 8.18 (-0.25)
Flash 415 (5)
Insol 0.1 (-0.2)

TBN was not computed.

Easily could run this combo for 10000.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a lot of oil in the filter indicate that the ADV is working properly?The purpose is to keep the oil in the filter from draining back into the engine so more = better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back