PSI suggestion for a daily driver tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Goodyear Super Sport Radial AP M&S P215/75R15 tire on my 2WD Toyota Tacoma truck. I don't do any hauling or towing with my truck - it's just my "daily driver" that I commute to work/home with. I'm trying to get the most gas mileage and longevity from the tire without over-inflating them.

My manual has no guidance on tire pressure, and the tire sidewall simply says "Max Pressure 44 PSI". I can't imagine inflating a tire to that pressure unless you're putting a load on the tire, right?

I'm hoping you might have an inflation PSI suggestion? Would you inflate the front tires differently than the rear tires, or inflate them all to the same PSI?

Thank you!

smile.gif

Ed

Tire inflation guidelines are on the placard on the drivers side door or door jamb.

My friends tundra is as low as 26psi for one of the axles.

Last edited:
What does the manufacturer sticker say in the driver door jamb (or possibly passenger). They list the cold tire pressure on that sticker. Check and adjust early in the morning before you drive the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Tire inflation guidelines are on the placard on the drivers side door or door jamb.

Also check underneath the arm rest or behind the glove box door.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
What does the manufacturer sticker say in the driver door jamb (or possibly passenger). They list the cold tire pressure on that sticker. Check and adjust early in the morning before you drive the vehicle.

Oddly enough, my doorjamb does not have any reference to pressure! That was the first thing I thought of as well. It's the first vehicle I've seen that doesn't specify the tire pressure.

It's odd, I know.

Ed

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What about the fuel fill door? That's where it is on my Expedition.

Nope - I checked there to.

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I have a Goodyear Super Sport Radial AP M&S P215/75R15 tire on my 2WD Toyota Tacoma truck.

For starters, you appear to be running a non-OEM tire size. The OEM size was 205/75/15.

Aside from that, this document has some recommended PSI info...

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM35814U/pdf/01omsour/2004/04tacoma/8.pdf

And that's straight from the owner's manual.

Thank you Pete. That's probably close enough for me - 29 PSI seems reasonable.

smile.gif

Ed

Oddly enough, my doorjamb does not have any reference to pressure!

The label is supposed to be on the driver's side b-pillar. If it is not, is it possible this part of the body was repainted and they forgot to transfer over the label afterwards?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Oddly enough, my doorjamb does not have any reference to pressure!

The label is supposed to be on the driver's side b-pillar. If it is not, is it possible this part of the body was repainted and they forgot to transfer over the label afterwards?

No, the truck has never been repainted - I know that for a fact. I worked for the company that bought the truck, right off the lot from our local Toyota dealer.

It is a real head-scratcher to me that it's not there. Oh well.

smile.gif

Ed

Although you aren't running a continental tire, you can use Continental Tire website's tire selector which will also list the manufacturer's PSIs, as well as PSI for non-standard sizes for continental tire choices.

They're not giving you a legal recommendation and you're not using their tire, so the final decision and liability is still yours and take it with a grain of salt.

But I've found their site to match manufacturer's recommendations, and can be used as a starting point reference. Just like amsoil's site helps you look up specs for fluid types and capacities.

Personally, I'd always set a couple PSI over the recommended pressure, as tires will lose some pressure over time so it'll "average" out.

Last edited:
I've always preferred higher PSI's in my cars. On tires that say 44 max, I run high 30's

I appreciate the crisp handling and good fuel economy. Driving on tires between 20-29 just feels sloppy to me.

Just an FYI.

The vehicle tire placard has been mandated to be on the driver's door or driver's doorpost only since 2008. The format was also changed at the same time to make it more visible.

Prior to that there wasn't a standard format, nor a standard location. Many car manufacturers put in in the driver's door area, but they also put it in other doors, in the glove box, on the fuel filler door and in the trunk. And it sometimes was part of a number of semi-related things, so it didn't stand out. The photo above is a good example of how someone could miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back