PS pump additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an 02 f150 that makes a horrible sound at start-up when its really cold outside. Only does it for about a couple of seconds and have narrowed it down to the PS pump, I know its just a couple of secs but it sounds like a cat in a blender(if you can imagine). Apparently its quite common in these trucks but there has to be "SOMETHING" out there that can quiet it down somewhat.

I assume you checked the fluid level and it's okay. Some have reported good luck using synthetic power steering fluid. Synthetic seems to handle the cold better by staying thin.

My girlfriends sisters 98 mustang v6 (which i previously owned) made a horrible steering noise, especially at cold start up...i had her flush the power steering and they added a bit of limited slip in there...noise completely gone!

Synthetic PS fluids from Redline/Valvoline/Specialtyformulations/Pentosin/.... are your best bet. If you can't find those, try the synthetic ATFs from Mobil1 and Redline.

Lubegard has a very good power steering fluid as well as a supplement for any type of power steering fluid. My experience is that they do work well. In the F150, I'd switch to synthetic fluid for better flow when very cold and add the lubegard additive.

Ken

Who does PS pump flushes? Never heard of them before, but it sounds interesting and maybe replace with the synthetic fluid.

I had a bit of power steering squealing recently. I added a couple ounces of Auto-RX to the Mobil 1 Syn ATF in the unit (my PS system calls for ATF). It quieted down with the Auto-RX and the wheel suddenly became much easier to turn.

i do a full flush out the return line, usually a flexible neoprene type line back to pump reservior, use Mobil 1 ATF in both Ford and GM pwr steering systems including rack type, most systems clean out nicely with 2 quarts out and in, pint at a time with engine on then off...Mobil 1 ATF is a full PAO synthetic with outstanding high temp and shear properties....
always add a magnefine inline filter in return line... change filter and steering ATF every 30k>50k miles
$25 every few years is cheaper than new rack or pump and far less labor...

add an ounce of LC or ARX if the system and old fluid is extremely dirty and contaminated...run for 500 miles and change again....cleanliness is next to godliness in a hydralic pump and gear steering system

quote:

Originally posted by xtrford:
Who does PS pump flushes? Never heard of them before, but it sounds interesting and maybe replace with the synthetic fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back