PS Additive to recondition seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a really good PS fluid additive out there that I can safely throw into the mix with some PS fluid?

As some of you may remember, I started a thread a lil while ago regarding a possible fluid leak on my PS rack. The car in question sits around a lot more than it's driven.(99 with 25K miles)

I'd like to know if there's something that I can throw in there that will aid it.

I'm not sure anything will aid your seals if you're not bringing it up to temperature. Auto-RX has worked for many but I would stick to a full synthetic fluid in that system to help keep the seals pliable, clean out the system build up and maintain the higher tolerances versus non-synthetic fluid in the PS unit.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I would stick to a full synthetic fluid in that system

Thanks for your response.

Any fluid in particular?

Does your car take atf or ps fluid? Amsoii, RedLine, and M1 are really good.

You can siphon some out with a turkey baster, drive for a week and then repeat a few more times when your concentration of new fluid reaches close to 100%.

I'm honestly not 100% sure but what I do know for sure, is that the new GM fluid I bought comes clear. Typically, atf isn't so.

I'd try some MMO, no more than 1 pint though....obviously, don't overflow the reservoir......drive it as normal for a week or 2, then flush it clear with approved PS fluid......from what I've read most "Power Steering Fluid" is just simple petroleum distillates, the MMO will work great to re-condition the seals, etc.

I don't recall seeing any claims from MMO that it would recondition seals. It's a good cleaner, I used it in my PS system to clean up crud from neglect.

Auto-RX does however make claims for seal reconditioning.

GM PS Fluid is clear because it has no dye in it to make it look red. The best thing to do is drive the vehicle more often and bring it up to temperature on weekends and change all fluids on it more often. Bringing the fluid up to temperature will allow the additives inside keep the seals conditioned. Periodically siphoning from the reservoir will keep most additives fresh in the system.

Last edited:
Bringing it up to temp is not gonna happen in the winter months, unless you're talking about idling it and giving it a few light revs.

Lubegard makes a superb PS fluid additive. I have used it in 3 cars and it silences the full turn squeaking. Good stuff.

Note they make both an additive and replacement PS fuid - if you do not want to flush your system, use the additive (which is what I used).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Lubegard makes a superb PS fluid additive. I have used it in 3 cars and it silences the full turn squeaking. Good stuff.

Note they make both an additive and replacement PS fuid - if you do not want to flush your system, use the additive (which is what I used).

Sounds like good stuff if it worked three times for you? Can you simply leave the additive in there for the long haul (along with your ps fluid) or does it need to be drained out like Auto RX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back