ProSelect 27356 cut open

Topic filter comes off a neighbor's 2005 Civic LX with only ~44k miles on the clock. More detail on neighbors if interested, much auto related, last paragraph.*

About a month ago Civic OLM/Maintenance Required light flashing for oil change. Not a smart OLM, starts flashing at 8k+ miles. Volunteered to do oil and filter change for cost of both, they accepted. They could not tell me when, where or miles last done, but judging from Napa service sticker and filter thinking nearby Napa service shop. 'Assuming' they reset the OLM at the time and 44k miles as service due on sticker, ~8k miles from last change. I decided since someone else's vehicle I'd check how much for an A02 filter. A dealer not too far that in town I happened to be in on another errand had them for ~$5, sold. Also picked up a jug of Super Tech Synthetic 5w20(spec), ~$16.

The one thing I didn't do which I wish I had done was check the oil level before putting it up on ramps, once up there wasn't going to start over. I say that because I drained ~4.2+qts out and specs say 3.4 qt capacity. So ime, original fill could have been as much as a quart over. Having much experience with an 01 Civic I was willing to overfill ~half qt, but no more than that. Looking down fill hole valve train looked pristine. To be expected such low miles and any kind of regular service.

As for filter, as can be seen looks fine. Adbv not the most pliable but to be expected and no start up rattle with horizontally mounted filter. Unlike its upper tier NG 7356 cousin made in the US, this one made in China. Though I prefer the coo of the former and hope NG/Wix doesn't change, quality seems equivalent. Pics of filter installation symbols too, see if you can identify all of them.

(They are an older couple, mid to late 70s . He is same I've posted before about having a Chrysler LHS (now sold) that had worn out hood lift struts, so he'd prop with a board. One day board got loose hood fell on his head. Briefly ok, later started talking/acting strangely, rushed to hospital. Took him quite awhile to recover, then ~2 years later suffered a stroke affecting cognitive function. He's recovered much of that, but not all. Then a few months ago wife driving a purchased new 8th gen Accord V6 with him as passenger pulled out in traffic and was t-boned drivers side, her fault. Accord totaled, broken pelvis and other injuries but lucky could have been far worse. She's much better now, walking and driving again but not completely healed. )

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe this couple should rethink driving all together.

I am getting old myself. I turned FRA last month. My next car will have more of the accident avoidance gadgets.

One thing I love on my pickup is the huge mirror, including the parabolic lower mirror. No blind spot and no sensor needed.

You may be correct, however they are an independent couple whose son lives less than a half mile away. That would be his place to say, not mine. I think I read where pulling out to make left hand turn one of the most difficult for anyone, but especially for elderly. They've been neighbors for over a decade and afaik this the first accident that I'm aware of that was the fault of either. As an aside, after his stroke he was unable to cut his grass on ride on. Now, good to go.

While I wouldn't describe this as a rural area (some might), locally traffic not any significant issue. And I know they voluntarily avoid the nearby interstate for errand travel. Not that in reality the interstate is worse than two lane travel.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
You may be correct, however they are an independent couple whose son lives less than a half mile away. That would be his place to say, not mine.

I agree but if you notice anything in the future you can always let the son know about any issues. Then he can take it from there. That way the son isn't in the dark.

Nice of you to change the oil for them.
thumbsup2.gif

The son is at their house on average at least once daily, many times more so in my observation he has (or should have) a good grip on the situation. He's the one that bought the father a new ride on, even when clearly he didn't have the facilities to run it at that point. Nothing wrong with the wife's mental acuity afaik.

Yawn... Just another boring Wix.

Looks really good if it is an 8000 mile filter.

Do Honda's have a time element to the OLM or is it just 8000 miles and turns on?
That filter was made in April of 2018. So has been on a max of 16 months.
44,000 miles in ~14 years (~3,000 mile/yr), and now 8,000 miles in 16 (or less) months??? Does not sound right to me.

...Do Honda's have a time element to the OLM or is it just 8000 miles and turns on?...
Newer Hondas have what's known as a Maintenance Minder OLM. It's an algorithm based OLM, "smart" OLM. Topic 05 starts blinking for ~10 sec total at 8k miles, stays on at 10k. Or so the OM states. Now the 01 Civic just has service light go on at 5k miles. Of the two personally prefer the 01 to the 05 for safety sake.

Really I haven't/ hadn't given much consideration to what could have happened beyond the miles assumption I made. The change oil sticker said change 44k miles and I know dash light had just recently started flashing. The vehicle was originally the wife's mother's car who lived with them until husband got the stroke. Then mom went to live with sister, took Civic and apparently started putting some miles on it. I think one of the reasons the wife wanted the Civic back along with some family feuding when mom passed on. It's possible the OLM wasn't reset last time and the flashing at 44k miles combined with 44k miles next oil change on window sticker, just that a coincidence. So could have been less miles, but just seemed too much of a coincidence.

Not sure all that makes sense, but best I could conclude with information I was given.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Newer Hondas have what's known as a Maintenance Minder OLM. It's an algorithm based OLM, "smart" OLM. Topic 05 starts blinking for ~10 sec total at 8k miles, stays on at 10k. Or so the OM states. Now the 01 Civic just has service light go on at 5k miles. Of the two personally prefer the 01 to the 05 for safety sake.

Really I haven't/ hadn't given much consideration to what could have happened beyond the miles assumption I made. The change oil sticker said change 44k miles and I know dash light had just recently started flashing. The vehicle was originally the wife's mother's car who lived with them until husband got the stroke. Then mom went to live with sister, took Civic and apparently started putting some miles on it. I think one of the reasons the wife wanted the Civic back along with some family feuding when mom passed on. It's possible the OLM wasn't reset last time and the flashing at 44k miles combined with 44k miles next oil change on window sticker, just that a coincidence. So could have been less miles, but just seemed too much of a coincidence.

Not sure all that makes sense, but best I could conclude with information I was given.

I wondered if with the history going on if it was just recently being driven more, so it could be possible, but without more info, could be coincidental.
Regardless, it looks good and you did good for your neighbor.

Napa currently has that filter with their conventional oil 5qt for $15.99

Here is a recent 'torn' filter also off of a civic.. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4838356/Napa_Pro_Select_27356_torn_med

NAPA lists 2 part numbers for this filter SFI 27356 and SFI 27356MP i had to buy one for my moms 2008 accord last month because the champion 3593 from my stash wouldnt fit.. the filter i got said MANN HUMMEL i think and the tube didnt have round holes.. had square shaped holes.

I think the filter u cut is the best looking one..not sure about the one i put on my moms car.

My moms car gets driven about 5000 miles every 2 years.. so nothing fancy needed.

I wonder if he had a fib and was on warfarin at the time of the hood hitting him in the head.... Leading to brain bleeding...And CVA was r/t atrial fibrillation....

Tough on our older people driving... True yet amazing story... I have a 97 year old lady at my place of work who still drives... And she is in amazing shape... And looks 20 years younger than her age. Truly something.

Great looking out filter here... I have run the Microgard which is basically the same filter.

You do really good work here man.

Just a thought here about that tear in that other proselect filter...

If one is running a 10w in the Indianapolis area... And it does get quite cold there.... Maybe that was the real problem there... In fact at Perdue University they have walk ways under ground connecting buildings... Because it gets rather cold in that area at times in the winter. I would be willing to bet the real thick 10w oil that winter was the real culprit behind that tear.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I wonder if he had a fib and was on warfarin at the time of the hood hitting him in the head.... Leading to brain bleeding...
When he had stroke, doctors told wife unrelated to earlier hood on head incident. I'm skeptical. Thought perhaps some type of subdural hematoma from hood that doctors missed at the time, or very close. Anyway, though not back to level before stroke, much improved.

As noted topic filter fci best guesstimate given all information available. Since I can obtain the NG 7356 for ~$4 at local Napa semi annual Gold sale, that's what I use. That said, based on this anecdote, NPS 27356 a respectable jobber tier filter.

get the NAPA filters on sale here too (just got 5 cases each of 5/20'n 5/30 too).
Who makes them?
All the same maker (each of the Select, Gold, Pro, Silver or whatever they go by)?
Thnx
Oh, and BTW: what do ppl use to make the nice slices to open the filters at the base like that? I
fear my cut off wheel would sling the oil all over even w/a shield or 2/emptied... Not too bad?

Oh, and BTW: what do ppl use to make the nice slices to open the filters at the base like that?
An oil filter cutter, like this.

humm, 2 rollers'n a can opener 'wheel'...
Like that~
Thank you Zee !
Here's one a little cheaper when you consider the free shipping. Both have the same design, and have adjustable roller position to cover a large range of filter diameters.

5 bucks more...
I may tear apart a can opener & grab some 'rollers' offa router bit.
I like how the 30$ ones will cut nice'n low tho (right near the flange &
look at the ADBV

just use a tailpipe cutter..much cheaper i got one one harbor freight for 17 dollars on sale. just dont squeeze the handle and it will cut thru in less than a minute cause has many more wheels than the 100 dollar stuff

Back