Propylene Glycol Alginate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody heard of this stuff? It sounds like an oil additive to me. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs96.html

Propylene glycol is also a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for de-icing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Other names for propylene glycol are 1,2-dihydroxypropane, 1,2-propanediol, methyl glycol, and trimethyl glycol.

Propylene glycol breaks down at the same rate as ethylene glycol, although it does not form harmful crystals when it breaks down. Frequent skin exposure to propylene glycol can sometimes irritate the skin.

I find it interesting that the FDA says it's generally recognized as safe, but the ATSDR includes it with toxic substances. After reading about it, I suppose it's not that scary.

You see, I was just at Burger King, and I thought, "Wow, this Zesty Onion Ring Sauce is pretty good. I wonder what's in it," and Propylene Glycol Alginate jumped out at me. I just don't know if I like the idea of ingesting an antifreeze that is used as a solvent for artificial colors and flavors. Oh well.

I work for a company that makes medical devices and we use propylene glycol coolant in all our processes that need to be cooled. It is fairly non-toxic and does as good as ethylene glycol as far as we can tell. You can buy it as non-toxic antifreeze at Walmart. I don't remember the brand name though.

[ October 06, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: garyb80 ]

It's in toothpaste and deodorant too
shocked.gif

dunno.gif

A google search turns up lots of hits on the substance. Here's one from FMCBiopolymer:
quote:

The conversion of alginate/alginic acid to its propylene glycol alginate (PGA) changes the behavior of the polymer in many ways compared to standard alginate. Esterified alginate is thereby appreciated as a particularly effective thickener and stabilizer in several acidic food applications.
FMC BioPolymer’s line of Protanal® Ester PGA is utilized in the stabilization of milk proteins under acidic conditions, in yogurt and lactic drinks, for pulp stabilization in acidic drinks, and sauces and dressings in general.
PGA is the most efficient and commonly used beer foam stabiliser worldwide with its use well understood and documented. Profoam® PGA beer foam stabiliser has the highest level of esterification available on the market, giving superior head retention and greater protection against foam collapse caused by foam-negative contaminants.
Profoam has been developed in cooperation with experienced brewers and process chemists, who have used their skill and experience to improve the product properties in areas that are important for breweries and their customer.

Propylene glycol is non-toxic and is sometimes used as an antidote to ethylene glycol poisoning.Propylene
glycol is rapidly absorbed from the gut and metabolized in a variety of ways to acetate, lactate or glycogen.

[ October 06, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Edible antifreeze... I don't know how much more comfortable that makes me about eating it.
smile.gif

But, now I know that in a pinch I can top off my radiator with Burger King Zesty Onion Ring Sauce if the need should arise.

Sierra is propylene glycol. Although itself isn't toxic, the additives included in the antifreeze package are. Propylene absorbs heat better than ethylene glycol and reduces detonation on a highly stressed engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back