Property Line Issue/Bad Neighbor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to put up the fence yourselves, expect confrontations during construction. That's another reason to have the cameras up first!!

You want to make sure the fence is on your property and not give them any extra space. If you go back from your line, you may end up losing the little extra bit of property through adverse possession.

To be honest, this is why them repeatedly mowing over the clearly marked line(despite being told otherwise) really concerns me. I don't know how much of a leg they would have to stand on, but I'm afraid that by mowing it they could claim they were maintaining the land as if they lived there and could claim it by adverse possession.

Of course, the land is also maintained(mowed and otherwise taken care of) by the person who hold the deed and people acting on her behalf(namely her dad and I) so I don't know how much that claim would stand up, but it's something I try to be aware of.

To be honest, this is why them repeatedly mowing over the clearly marked line(despite being told otherwise) really concerns me. I don't know how much of a leg they would have to stand on, but I'm afraid that by mowing it they could claim they were maintaining the land as if they lived there and could claim it by adverse possession.

Of course, the land is also maintained(mowed and otherwise taken care of) by the person who hold the deed and people acting on her behalf(namely her dad and I) so I don't know how much that claim would stand up, but it's something I try to be aware of.
At least in my state, adverse possession takes 5 years plus paying property taxes on a particular property. Not sure if anyone can obtain adverse possession over just a small section of a larger property. Certainly letting someone know they're not welcome and lodging some sort of complaint with an official record would probably break up the possibility. Maybe they could claim a prescriptive easement, but that takes even longer and is easily shut down by stopping it.

They need to be told they can't enter her property without permission, and that you'll enforce it with trespassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back