Proper size for spare tire

I want to replace the OE spare for my Sienna. It has cracks on sidewall.

The size is (T)155-80-R17. Unfortunately, only one chain around me (American Tire Depot) has a tire in that size. They only want $363 for it, although they were nice enough to offer me 4 for the price of 3.

At this point I have two questions:

(1) The other retailers will offer me 155-80 tires with different wheel diameters (for example, Americas Tire offers diameters of 12, 13, 15, and 19). These would not fit on my spare wheel, correct?

(2) Since the normal tire size is 215-65-16, but the manual says it will also take 225-60-17, I’m wondering—couldn’t I just buy a normal tire (a 225-60-17), and have that installed onto the spare wheel?

(3) FWIW the tires I have on it are 215-65-16, but I'd only be driving on the spare 225-60-17 until I could get it to a tire shop so the different size on one of the tires wouldn't matter--would it?

Last edited:
Quattro, ok looks like I'll have to buy a new tire in the same exact size as the OE spare.

OK I found this on amazon, quite a bit cheaper than $363: https://www.amazon.com/Ironman-Metr...keywords=155-80-17+tire&qid=1637117257&sr=8-2

All I need to do is take it to Americas Tire and have them install it on my spare wheel, correct? There isn't anything more I'd need to buy? Just bring in the old spare still on the spare wheel, and the new tire?

Quattro, ok looks like I'll have to buy a new tire in the same exact size as the OE spare.

OK I found this on amazon, quite a bit cheaper than $363: https://www.amazon.com/Ironman-Metr...keywords=155-80-17+tire&qid=1637117257&sr=8-2

All I need to do is take it to Americas Tire and have them install it on my spare wheel, correct? There isn't anything more I'd need to buy? Just bring in the old spare still on the spare wheel, and the new tire?
That Amazon tire is listed as 12 inch rim. OP's rim is 17 inch.

Time to find out what other vehicles have that same size spare with an eye on more recent year vehicles. Then use that list to find a good used one at an auto salvage yard.

One good place to start that first part of the search would be any internet forum that is about that vehicle.

Correct, they threw in all sorts of sizes in my search. I'd have to make sure that all three dimensions are the same.

If I were to go salvage yard route, yeah I'd need to make sure that it was a recent year model, so I wouldn't end up buying a 10 year old spare. Not sure how many recent vehicles would be there, though....That is another option that I hadn't thought of though. Thanks.

That Amazon tire is listed as 12 inch rim. OP's rim is 17 inch.

I want to replace the OE spare for my Sienna. It has cracks on sidewall.

The size is (T)155-80-R17. Unfortunately, only one chain around me (American Tire Depot) has a tire in that size. They only want $363 for it, although they were nice enough to offer me 4 for the price of 3.

At this point I have two questions:

(1) The other retailers will offer me 155-80 tires with different wheel diameters (for example, Americas Tire offers diameters of 12, 13, 15, and 19). These would not fit on my spare wheel, correct?

(2) Since the normal tire size is 215-65-16, but the manual says it will also take 225-60-17, I’m wondering—couldn’t I just buy a normal tire (a 225-60-17), and have that installed onto the spare wheel?

(3) FWIW the tires I have on it are 215-65-16, but I'd only be driving on the spare 225-60-17 until I could get it to a tire shop so the different size on one of the tires wouldn't matter--would it?
1. Yes. Won't fit.
2. No. You need to buy an appropriate 17" wheel for it
3. No, it won't matter for temporary use.

Have you tried ordering online?

Try tirerack. Shipping might be free and you'd have to pay mount/balance at installer but they had 3 options, 2 Falken at $90-ish each and a Goodyear at $130-ish. It might be zip code dependent though.

Also, from a quick search on '2005 sienna full size spare', you can't fit a full size as a spare because it won't fit the spare tire storage area. So you'd have to search for the original spare size.

Now that TR price is more in line with what I was thinking.

TR says an additional $16.50 for installation at a local installer. I think I'll go that route. I'll call them in the morning and verify that they'll install something from TR, and give them a chance to meet that price.

1. Yes. Won't fit.
2. No. You need to buy an appropriate 17" wheel for it
3. No, it won't matter for temporary use.

Have you tried ordering online?

That's an insane price for a spare which is unlikely to be used.

If your normal tires will fit in the spare's place, just get the 5th matching wheel and tire and rotate 5.

Check out Hubcaphaven.com

you need to match the outside diameter of tyres on vehicle. i theres storage room a "full size matching spare is best. check on-line tyre specs or talk to your seller for specs

Hmm well so far Walmart is beating TR on tire price alone for new spares for all three cars, $215 to $286. I'm ruling out the cheapest Chinese tires, WM has 2 Douglas and a Falken. TR has Falken, Riken, and Uniroyal. I'll see what everyone wants to install, TR says if I buy through them, their installer will cost $16.50/tire.

If 'full' size tire fits in the place where the donut is stored, just go with a steel rim that'll go on the car and a tire to match it.
My Forte came without a spare but a 'mobility kit' containing air pump and goo in a bottle to 'fix a flat'.
I simply use a summer tire (on OEM rim) as a spare in winter and winter tire (on steel rim) as a spare in summer.

Well thanks everyone for pitching in here. I went ahead and ordered the cheapest spares I could find--2 of the three cars have new Douglass (from WM) spare tires; the Sienna has a dedicated spare tire (155-80-17). The three older spares ranged from 16 to 20+ years, so I decided to get new tires in the unlikely event that they were needed. FWIW, the two walmart douglass tires were both made in late 2021.

Back