Propane grill, repair or replace?

I had a Kenmore that I nursed for 14 years. I think around year 5 I had to drill out the burners? They had gotten clogged up with rust. Worked fine after that. Various bits rusted away, and at the end I was surprised that it made the final trip to the transfer station.

Grills are funny backyard "status symbols" with all that saggy oversized "stainless steel" cabinets - I just gotta shake my head.

I have a vintage Sears sitting now under the front porch that my Wife grabbed curbside one day in the neighborhood.
I replaced the burners once with a WM universal. Never cooked great.
But, I did appreciate nice thick aluminum tub and lid .

I Don't know what to do with it. Make a redneck planter box ? Or birdbath ? Or maybe a wheelbarrow with some fittings!

Actually I do know: Bring it to the recycling center. The question is ... how to get it there ?

Those are the only ones that tasted close to wood coal grilling or charcoal.
-Ken

There are a number of American made gas grills. I have a 30 year old charcoal Weber kettle grill my parents purchased. It's much heavier duty than my sister's brand new Weber kettle grill she purchased last year.

Weber is all my sister will buy. I'm just trying to steer her toward stainless grates. Every ceramic grate she's had deformed from rust.
Tell her that this is the only way to go! The 7mm solid rod non-magnetic 304 stainless steel grates that I bought for my Weber are far superior to the ceramic coated stamped steel grates that it came with. They have already outlasted the original grates by double and have not deteriorated in any way.

Add up the parts you need. If you like fixing things and the body is in good shape what the heck. Look at this beauty I spotted walking thru my neighborhood last fall. Attached sign said ‘ignitor doesn’t work, must use match.’ $75.00. Needless to say I almost broke a leg running back home to get the money. Ignitor kit was $20.
Nice find!

Back