Promotive (Purolator's cheap line) Pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone should run one in an ecotec.
crackmeup2.gif

I've used Purolator Classic and PureOne, and Fram ExtraGuard in V6 Pentastar and I haven't seen even a hint of waviness after 3,000 to 6,000 miles OCIs with 5w20, 5w30 and 0w40 weight oils I have tried so far.

That said, I always warm up engine until temperature gauge passes the C mark before driving. I believe waviness is caused by stress, i.e. pressure, like in oil being thick because it's still cold. Although, somewhere I had read an opinion it can be caused by moisture.

Interestingly, after work, I am the only "idiot" in the parking lot warming up my car, while everyone else starts and goes no matter how cold it is. And this was one of the coldest winters on record.

A Q to OP. Do you start your engine and go right away, getting to higher rpms? I am just curious. Or perhaps it's the nature of the GM engine to fold those pleats down?

I do indeed start and go, but I do sit for a few minutes in extreme cold, and had commute that allowed for speed limits to gradually increase. The car was driven with minor accident damage for a while and I did some highway stints of 45 minutes for a while initially in the OCI. Recently not so much. Also, there were some severe cold starts here - the worst one at -14F along with the below average temps faced by the East Coast in general for the Winter. One of the only things I dislike about the car is the manual transmission is only 5 speeds, the lack of a 6th results in high rpm's on the highway with 3000 rpm being the norm...

I'm wondering if driving with a grill that was a bit more open than usual and increased air flow may have prevented the car from reaching the proper operating temperature - or at least delayed it?

The oil was Mobil 1 0W-30 and was pretty black and beat up. The car has long since been repaired, and we'll see how the high mileage does in warmer temps with a lot less highway...

While I don't particularly care for the "appearance" of the NG cartridge here, similar to the topic'd Promotive I commented on earlier in this thread, I wouldn't classify it as a failure, ie., having any significant effect on filter function.

This one does remind me of many of the ecotec cartridges 'from many brands' I've seen posted here in the past. Many have the pointed pleat wave that appear to be the result of some type of cartridge compression. That said, not drawing the conclusion that is reason. I don't have enough information, just a comparison to the ecotec cartridges posted here.

I suppose you can keep trying other brands, or perhaps go to oem if the results posted here are not satisfactory to you. In the ecotec the Hengst oem, cartridge 'seems' to have generally satisfactory results. But, so have some of the aftermarkets. That's what makes it rather puzzling. Rambling here, so I'll let it go.

As noted earlier here, I've had and posted excellent results with Napa Gold/(Wix) cartridges in Hyun/Kia applications. Every bit as good as the Mahle made oem, but for half the cost.

I have to say that I am not that concerned too much with performance and believe the filters did their job to that extent. The compressed, hourglass like appearance did throw me for a loop, but in the end I doubt it effected filtration all that much...

High rpm at operating temperatures is not a problem. I have a 6sp manual coupled to Pentastar and my engine is no stranger to spinning at 5000rpm on a daily occasion. Never a wavey filter.

It is high rpm when the oil is cold because even a multi-grade oil is easily 7 to 10 times thicker at freezing temperatures.

I would rule out compression because top and bottom covers/plates on these filters are supported by hard plastic connecting them, not the filter media. Since filters are built to spec and there is a definite limit on how much filter cap can be screewed on, there should be nothing compressing the filter. Unless the filter is slightly out of spec by being a little longer. But that would be such an unlikely measure to get wrong by a manufacturer. Plus there are plenty of pictures showing waviness in cut spin-on filters.

Another possibility is soft filter media.

Let me just add that broken grille would have no effect on the engine temperature as the thermostat would continue to regulate properly.

Nick, I cut open two Promotive's #4612 this afternoon, both looked meh or o.k. I was bit surprised. Even chopped open a Mighty 4612 that looked ok. I will stick with my WIX/Pro Tec/Parts Master I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back