Project Farm - Tests Pennzoil Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always hoping secretely (and probably left it as a comment on one of his videos) to have a Euro oil shootout...Liquimoly, Motul, M1 0W40, etc. etc. Again....it's entertaining. I mean come on....glowing LM Molygen in the cold flow contest under black light...sounds like a winner to me..ahahah

Last edited:
I watch many Project Farm videos, if for no other reason than the fact that he is entertaining and seems like a great guy. Does that mean that I would base what engine oil I use on his tests? Not likely.

I do find his comparisons of tools and the like to be useful, though. To me, those tests are much more useful seeing as that kind of usage is likely to be much closer to the type of usage they see in the field.

Nothing “so called” or “anonymous” about our experts.

Only a fool equates the opinion of an amateur with the opinion of someone with decades of experience in a particular field.
And this is exactly why these threads get locked. Because we end up with Anonymous Bob and Billy coming on here and chirping the folks, some of whom are experts, who have taken the time to explain, sometimes 10's of times, why this garbage isn't useful beyond pure entertainment.

If folks would accept that it was entertainment, and nothing more, that would be one thing, but clearly, that's not the case and that's evidenced by the reply you quoted. The inference is that anonymous mouth breathers on BITOG are subverting the incredible body of work being assembled by Project Farm and that reversal on this position is only right and just. It's maddening.

That is a extremely important test. It shows how the oil flows through your engine.
I'm hoping that's sarcasm, lol, as we know oil is pumped through the engine.

Pour Point was abandoned as a testing methodology for J300 because it failed to properly predict in-service performance. This is why specialized tests were developed, and have been refined, to qualify it (CCS and MRV), which have a specific cycle that attempts to replicate conditions that can cause a failure to pump.

They've used oil as a loss leader for decades.
They usually loss leader with their own brands like great value, equate, mainstays, ect. Supertech syn back 2 years ago was $15.16 a jug for a long time and the next cheapest full synthetic was just over $20. That's loss leader. But now even pennzoil has a cheaper full syn than ST.

But they are anonymous to most folks that aren't regulars here, how will they know? The internet is full of "experts" that well...aren't so expert. Is it possible to have those users who are "legit" w/r to the oil industry/tribology/chemistry/etc. listed here or are they posted somewhere already?
Well if an individual is incapable of technical discrimination I suppose that's all you have.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm, lol, as we know oil is pumped through the engine.

Pour Point was abandoned as a testing methodology for J300 because it failed to properly predict in-service performance. This is why specialized tests were developed, and have been refined, to qualify it (CCS and MRV), which have a specific cycle that attempts to replicate conditions that can cause a failure to pump.

I’m not sure what to believe here anymore.

They usually loss leader with their own brands like great value, equate, mainstays, ect. Supertech syn back 2 years ago was $15.16 a jug for a long time and the next cheapest full synthetic was just over $20. That's loss leader. But now even pennzoil has a cheaper full syn than ST.
You're still trying to discern wholesale price from the price of a container of oil at Walmart. It can't be done.

ST at ~$15 was such a good deal...now ~$21 same as Quaker State syn.

As we say every time a bearing scar test meant for testing the EP properties of grease and gear oil have no efficacy for testing the lubricity of motor oil. I really wish he's stop with the test, too many dumb "car guys" watch him and don't understand his "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer, I don't hate the guy, but his fan base takes his very flawed "reviews" too seriously and for people that have some clue on lubrication science it's very frustrating trying to undo the harm his videos are doing in the community.
99% of people, including mechanics, have no idea how oil works or what makes an oil perform better or worse in various circumstances. The only true source of information is right here on BITOG.

That said I like project farm and many of his videos are decent. Watch that idiot from Nate's interactive auto and Todd will look like a genius. I remember one of his videos comparing Mobil 1 to Redline by doing a flow test at room temperature and declaring Mobil 1 to be the winner and wanting to bash my head on the computer desk in disbelief. Redline being more viscous at room temperature while still meeting the cold flow requirements at -30c is exactly what makes it better than Mobil 1.

It's like those people who put various 5w or 10w oils in a freezer set to -50C, if it's really that cold outside 5w and 10w oils are the incorrect grade of oil to be using so any information gathered at that point is useless.

The cold flow test is pretty relevant for northern climates in my opinion. I am glad this thread cam back I was about to close my account here.
I've been thinking of doing that too (not that anyone here would care, LOL). I've had a few other experiences here that have discouraged me from participating in discussions or providing content. I'm glad they brought the threads back on this topic.

The mods spoke to multiple people, FWIW. I know, because I'm one of them as well. We discussed the idea of a disclaimer to hopefully curb the speculative nature of the discourse that typically follows a PF video.
You're a mod or one of the multiple people the mods spoke with?

The more I think about it, the more I believe we were correct in putting the threads back into public view. Find me another place on the internet when someone can google "project farm oil tests valid" and learn that the tests are simply not valid.

I'll be darn. I just did that exact above quoted Google search and guest what was the FIRST result?

I appreciate how the mods, specifically wwilson shows that they are willing to review decisions. It’s good we are able to have this discussion. I would encourage members to reach out to mods via a PM to share feedback or concerns, while staying respectful.

For all the experts after Project Farm get your own YouTube channel . Do a test and show us the results test all the oils buy them with your own money . I watch P.F. but I'm also smart enough to know his test are not something you would bet your life on. Just like I wouldn't on anyone else on YouTube . In short when you read stuff and watch stuff use your BRAIN

For all the experts after Project Farm get your own YouTube channel . Do a test and show us the results test all the oils buy them with your own money . I watch P.F. but I'm also smart enough to know his test are not something you would bet your life on. Just like I wouldn't on anyone else on YouTube . In short when you read stuff and watch stuff use your BRAIN

People are gullible. I think you give the average person too much credit. 🙃

The total equipment you're talking about, to run the formal ASTM tests, costs in the range of $500,000 - $1,500,000. You can't just walk into your local Walmart and buy a PDSC or MRV like you can a coffee pot and hot plate. The labs that have this equipment are pretty booked around the clock with much more important things like testing new formulas and ensuring the quality of the oil batches going out to customers. They also aren't quick as some of these tests can take a few days to complete. Taking the lab down from productivity to test a couple oils for a Youtube channel is not in their wheelhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back