Professional Auto Tech at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I prefer watching South Main Auto Repair. He explains things while he's working, doesn't smoke, in shape, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3cHVfdSDg

Those are some lousy reasons to pick one channel over the other.

Flat Rate Master is catered towards other techs. Just because he doesn’t explain what he is doing, doesn’t mean there isn’t value to the content. You can learn a lot by just watching what he does.

Unfortunately there's lots of crooks in the auto repair business. The up sell in plentiful and many times you leave the shop and your ___ was tampered with.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
* Don't think it is a good idea to smoke in any auto repair shop. Chewing on an unlit cigar would be OK.
* The funnel he used to put engine oil in the truck looked like it had been dumped on by a pelican with diarrhea. Would have cleaned it thoroughly before using.
* I have a set of the nylon clad sockets one of which (green one) he used with his impact wrench for the lug nuts. Do not think these sets are rated for impact wrench use (mine are not)
* Did not wipe off the oil filter area before installing the new filter. Same thing for drain plug. Use of brake cleaner spray is ok but still should be wiped off with rag.
* Did not fill oil filter before installing.

I am sure if anybody watched you work, they could find enough faults in it just as they would also with me.

When does a college graduate insurance salesman born to immigrant tiger parents start associating himself as a flat rate mechanic?

(Since everyone is taking potshots at one another, I will take one at TheCritic too; all in good fun :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
When does a college graduate insurance salesman born to immigrant tiger parents start associating himself as a flat rate mechanic?

(Since everyone is taking potshots at one another, I will take one at TheCritic too; all in good fun :)

Little do you know, Vikas. But, I can relate to your comment. I'm getting to be an old codger also, and it sucks when a young person is more competent than me (at twice his age). I deal with it daily and I encourage my young college student employees to share with me so I can learn new stuff. I challenge them to improve on my old, sometimes outdated methods. This old dog CAN be taught new tricks. But, they get an earful when the old master is correct and I rub a bit of salt into their youthful wounds. Oh, its so much fun to be the old, cantakerous curmudgeon, LOL.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What is entry-level flat rate pay per hour 'worked' ?

A vocational school in my area has a Honda program to dealership technician.

It is very location specific. In California if you supply your own tools you must be paid double minimum wage and must be paid that for every hour you are clocked in. Our techs are getting somewhere around $22-23/hr based on that. I have heard other dealers are preventing entry level techs, aka lube techs, from bringing in their own tools and are supplying a set from SnapOn so they can pay them minimum wage.

Somewhere in the 15 to 18 dollar range here. If I was starting fresh right now, I would find something else to do. The work is not what it used to be. At least not in my market.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Not to judge, but I'm surprise at how many guys in that line of work, and auto body, that are heavy. I would think with a job that physical, you could easily keep the weight off.

A lot of them have very poor diets. I know a guy who is in his late 20s and is pretty heavy who does HVAC work. He works a lot of hours doing physical things, but he eats very poorly. He only eats maybe twice a day, and when he does it is fast food. Eating only 2 times a day slows down your metabolism and combined with eating fatty foods will have that sort of impact.

I think you meant a lot of people have poor diets. It's certainly not limited to vocational trades.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

* Don't think it is a good idea to smoke in any auto repair shop. Chewing on an unlit cigar would be OK.
* I have a set of the nylon clad sockets one of which (green one) he used with his impact wrench for the lug nuts. Do not think these sets are rated for impact wrench use (mine are not)
* Did not wipe off the oil filter area before installing the new filter. Same thing for drain plug. Use of brake cleaner spray is ok but still should be wiped off with rag.

Would you like it better if he was wearing a skirt?

So, do you have anything useful to offer?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
* The funnel he used to put engine oil in the truck looked like it had been dumped on by a pelican with diarrhea. Would have cleaned it thoroughly before using.

I am sure if anybody watched you work, they could find enough faults in it just as they would also with me.

As I said in my original post, I do not claim to be a master tech and I am certain that others could find faults with my automotive work. But I also do not post videos of myself on line working on my cars. When you do that sort of thing, viewers are naturally going to critique what you do. So which of the points I made do you have an argument with?

Originally Posted By: AVB
It also is not that physically demanding.

My laptop and my Snap-on pocket screwdriver are the only tools that I use every single day at work.

I am actually going to downsize my toolbox next year since I rarely use so many of the tools I purchased 20 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Okapi77

My laptop and my Snap-on pocket screwdriver are the only tools that I use every single day at work.

I am actually going to downsize my toolbox next year since I rarely use so many of the tools I purchased 20 years ago.

You don't need your air tools to repair vehicles ?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
What is entry-level flat rate pay per hour 'worked' ?

A vocational school in my area has a Honda program to dealership technician.

It is very location specific. In California if you supply your own tools you must be paid double minimum wage and must be paid that for every hour you are clocked in. Our techs are getting somewhere around $22-23/hr based on that. I have heard other dealers are preventing entry level techs, aka lube techs, from bringing in their own tools and are supplying a set from SnapOn so they can pay them minimum wage.

Is that legal ?
Are these mechanics part of a union ?

Sounds strange not to allow a person to bring in their own tools. I couldn't work a job knowing the clock is ticking and if I run into big problems... I'm losing money / pay.

I absolutely need air tools. But I use them less and less as a percentage of my work.

The things that make a car a car have all gotten better. Engines,transmissions, suspension, and brakes all last a lot longer with fewer problems.

I spend most of my day updating software, listening for noises, and diagnosing check engine lights. Frankly, a big part of my job is making sure that customers are happy with their car so they will keep it long enough for something to actually break.
smile.gif

Since I don't really do heavy engine/trans/suspension, I can sell or donate those tools to someone who really needs them.

So which of the points I made do you have an argument with?

*I'm an ex-smoker, Never smoked in a customers car but did smoke while working & never started a fire as a result of me smoking......The funny thing is, It seems that the anti-smoking technicians are the ones that are careless & set stuff/themselves on fire.

*Using "Non-Impact" rated sockets with an Impact is pretty much standard procedure, I snap far more chrome sockets using hand tools than I do with an impact.
I have a set of MAC thin wall impact sockets for custom wheels.....Completely useless POS!!! I have a 1/2" drive chrome 13/16" Taiwanese GM Goodwrench socket that I CANNOT break!
I also use Chrome sockets for ALL transmission work including disassembly which I use a 1/2" Impact for, Never had a socket break or shatter. Using Impact Sockets flat DOES NOT work on Valve Body bolts once the socket is a little worn....They will Cam-Out everytime!
Do I use chrome sockets on Axle Nuts, Crank Bolts, Main Caps, or Bigger suspension fasteners?......NO, I do not!

*Filling the oil filter, On some cars....You can't, This isn't a big deal & I highly doubt anyone could prove it causes any damage?

I agree with the rest of what you stated, General pride in your work!!

It is a different kind of physically demanding, the kind that wears your body out, not keep you in shape.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Mind sharing some of that stuff you are smoking?
50.gif

I'm 64 and replaced front shackle pins and bushes on a Fuso Fighter yesterday, and finished them off today. The young mechanics at work said they are not truck mechanics and refused to do it...wimps. I did it outside on the gravel yard, with a bit of cardboard to lie on. Tough old bugger. And I cetainly don't get paid minimum wage or do the job flat rate, the customer paid for how long it took me to do the job.

Trucks, especially ones that see salt, are a whole 'nother ball game. Low pro 17.5" tires will wear you out, 22.5"s are heavy but they will almost mount themselves. I have laid under trailers beating wheels off with a sledge hammer. I had a brake drum on a trailer that would not budge, I had to remove the hub and drum together. I hammered that drum until it broke before I got the hub out. Chassis and engine parts that have been bolted together for a million miles don't like to be separated either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back