Products for improving water beading vs. Products for actual paint protection?

I came across this post from the Gyeon rep on a detailing forum:

Cure does protect against chemicals and UV rays. So it will prevent oxidation/colour loss as well. It not a coating though. Q² CanCoat will be much more effective, not even mentioning Q² Trim as you don't want to go this path.

Q²M WetCoat is a pure hydrophobicity booster, so you can't rely on it in terms of any protection.
Link: https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/fo...b7d225a0624ad32ef1c650b&p=5493469&postcount=5

Gyeon WetCoat is similar to CarPro Hydro2 and McKee37's Hydro Blue - they are spray-on, rinse-off products that will boost the gloss of your paint (for a short while) but will also deliver good beading for 1-3 months. Rain-X and Meguiar's have similar products as well.

Due to their application method, I suspect them to be a boosted variation of a car wash tunnel rinse agent. Possibly something like this: https://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/super-concentrated-drying-agent-2000-2

All along, I thought these products provided paint protection due to the water beading. But according to that statement from the Gyeon rep, these products provide no paint protection at all? I feel cheated! :oops:

Car waxes and similar all work nearly the same way that is very simple. All it does is put a waxy film between the paint and anything that tries to stick to it. That way when you wash it, the stuff on your paint released easily and does not get "glued" into the pores of the paint.

The oils in some polishes will keep the paint "nourished" so it takes longer to dry out but I had a black Mitsubishi Eclipse that I kept waxed monthly with Maguire's #26 yellow wax and it still got clearcoat failure after 7 or so years. That was a common problem with those cars and no wax could stop it.

The detail world is full of garbage. The chemists making these products probably laugh behind the scenes at all these products. I was surprised too when Gyeon USA said Wet Coat offers no UV/oxidation protection. Interesting that Hydro2 claims UV protection. Doubtful.

Dr. G claims the UV inhibitors have to migrate to the clearcoat, so this test below is flawed.

Dr. G claims the UV inhibitors have to migrate to the clearcoat, so this test below is flawed.

Do they really do that? I always assumed these products left a sacrificial layer that itself provided protection.

I consider Dr. Ghodoussi an expert so I am not disputing him.

The detail world is full of garbage. The chemists making these products probably laugh behind the scenes at all these products. I was surprised too when Gyeon USA said Wet Coat offers no UV/oxidation protection. Interesting that Hydro2 claims UV protection. Doubtful.

Id be curious if this Dr. G has a rational mechanism for migrating into the clear coat.

If s a matter of depositing more material (solids, resins, waxes, etc) into pores, ok.

If there’s some other claims of magic action going on, I’d find that dubious.

I am surprised that there is no UV protection whatsoever from these products. After all, they could easily deposit some sort of sacrificial or uv-rejecting material. But it’s tough to get an appreciable amount on while also providing an optically clear and pleasing surface.

"I passed this video on to Dr G and his comment was: As he said all our testing was at 300 nm or shorter wavelengths and I think he is wrong since UVA is shorter than UVB not longer as he suggested."

The old tried and true, world standard, Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. I get 6 months of solid beading on a daily driver. Don't even wash it except every 6 months. New oil, filter and a wash and wax job then.

Back