Procedure to Store a Transmission Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storing a Maxima Automatic transmission outside with a tarp on sitting on 2 x 4's over the winter. Is there some fogging procedure I need to do before it goes below zero?

Right now the oil was drained out when I removed it, and whatever is left in the torque converter is still there. Someone told me to fill it with oil before storage but i'll have to find a way to plug the axle holes.

Other than that, is there anything else I should do or can do?

Last edited:
I've never stored an AT outside. My brother has stored them inside a garage, and always filled them with as much clean ATF as he could, plugged everything up wrapped them in old towels to absorb anything that might have seeped out, and then wrapped them with HD contractor trash bags. Sat it on blocks inside a plastic tub. Stored a few Turbo 400's that way for years, they were fine when put back to use.

Do the above, and I'm thinking if you can find a weather proof plastic container that you can sit your unit in that is big enough to house it then put the lid on it you'd be fine!

Last edited:
The concern is trying to let as little moisture in as possible, but in also letting as much moisture out as possible due to condensation.

I'd get a big contractor bin and put a bunch of that "dri-basement" stuff in it, and seal it up tight.

I may have to do the same thing with an entire engine/trans that I may not be able to finish this fall...

I wish I could get it in there, but it's too hard to lift it that high. Even with 2 people we have major trouble moving it around. And I can't setup the engine hoist because the ground is too un-even. If I plug it up, it should be fine. The trannies when they are in there car can sit a long time and they are closed up, if I can find a way to close the AT Oil cooler barbs. I have left over axles where I cut off the geared part, I could stick those in the tranny to plug it.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go out there tonight and start on this. It's showing tonight will be the first to drop below zero celcius.

I've got a spare drive axle that I'll cut off the end so I can plug the axle hole then fill it up with fluid. Thank god I kept those pieces of both axles. Who knows what I was thinking why I would need them, but man they are coming in handy. I couldn't see how else I could plug those holes properly.

Quote:
if I can find a way to close the AT Oil cooler barbs.

I'm sure you have a single piece of hose laying around to run barb to barb.

That's gotta be a heck of a FWD AT if you can't move it around fairly easily. I'd buy an appropriate sized plastic snap lid storage tote/bin that you can get anywhere cheap today to store it in.

Joel

Great idea Gary - that's what I was thinking. The only opening left is that vent hose on the top of the valve cover. I basically kept filling the tranny with new ATF through the dipstick tube, it took 4 L more than the MAX mark or more, maybe even 6L more, it kept gulping it down.

So I just kept feeding it until the point where it started spewing out the vent hose and the top of the dipstick, so basically, the entire thing is full.

I don't really see the point in storing it in a bin at this point, if it's full to capacity there's no spot for air to enter. It's filled to the brim!!!! Plus there's no way we can lift it. The most we could lift it is onto a dolly or 10 foot increments together with slings on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back