Problem: heat causes door locks to malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Have a peculiar problem that I really haven't yet tried to fix. Problem: when temperature is near 100 degrees and car sits outside for 2-3 hours the electrical door locks won't function. You can open/close them with key or manually. They work normally when weather is cooler or the car does't sit for long. The car is 1999 Lexus SC300. I am reluctant to try to open up the door panel as I don't have the factory shop manual

Any suggestions?

Thanks

JR

I had the same problem in a Ford. The lock actuators have a device in them that heats up when the lock button is held down. This device then breaks the circuit as a safety feature (like when a kid holds the button down). As mine got older, they did what your's is doing now. After a while, they completely quit working. The real fix is to replace the actuators. I have heard of people wiring around the protection device.

I Got a 95 Sc 300 with about 147,800 miles. Nice cars but they do have odd electrical gremlins. Does your memory seats still work? lol but as far as motoring, great car if you can find one in flawless condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back