Pro-Tec filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a case of filters for my f150, i got them on my works commercial account for $20- dzn filters. $1.66 per filter and i believe they are made by wix. next pay day ill be getting 2 cases for my 5 chevy toys................................

anyways, anyone use these filters and love them?

If they're as cheap as you say they are, could you cut one open and show us the pictures? A lot of folk would switch allegiance if the price (and pic) is right..

Originally Posted By: Olas
If they're as cheap as you say they are, could you cut one open and show us the pictures? A lot of folk would switch allegiance if the price (and pic) is right..

Cut open a new filter? Really?
crackmeup2.gif

The ones I have seen are Wix/napa silvers.....u can get them at oriellys if you ask the right questions and have a resellers acct/tax # ...they dont usually keep them in stock but will order them by the case for you.

Yep, really. It's not unknown for folk on here to go out and buy a filter specifically so they can cut it up.
How else would you know to trust it? Silicone or nitrile adbv? Pleat count & uniformity?

I'd pay a dollar sixty six just to know how it's constructed. Are you so concerned with money that you'd take a chance on the health of your engine just to save a dollar sixty six?

Treat it like a fish - cut it open and pull its insides out

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
i bought a case of filters for my f150, i got them on my works commercial account for $20- dzn filters. $1.66 per filter and i believe they are made by wix. next pay day ill be getting 2 cases for my 5 chevy toys................................

anyways, anyone use these filters and love them?

Sounds like an entry level wix to me. I am sure it is fine but I gotta agree with everybody. Cut it open and do some exploring (pics please!)

WIX 2nd line,used to be called NAPA Series 2/Silverline and now NAPA silver.Nothing wrong with them,you just don't see them much around,other than at NAPA stores.

IMO the Pr0-Tec filters are a low-tier filter and I would not run them more than 5K maximum.

Do you know the efficiency numbers at 20 microns?

Its been my experience over the years that "you generally get what you pay for".

IIRC they're the equivalent of the "NAPA Silver." Better than a base Fram/Autolite, less failure prone than the current crop of Purolator Classics, but still basically a "jobber" filter sold in bulk to repair shops. Nothing fancy, likely Nitrile ADBV, non-synthetic media. I wouldn't push the OCI much past 7-9k miles because of the media and ADBV, and expect to get the more-than-occasional one with a leaky ADBV right out of the box. That's been my experience with base-model Wix filters over the years. Good, but not great.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
I guess for my fellow oil guys I could cut one up....

Sweet !!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Not many filters including the Pro-Tec that haven't been cut open previously and posted here. Below is a link to a virgin P-T dissection with pics.

To me looks closest to the Napa ProSelect jobber type filter, which looks similar to/same as the current MicroGard and also Napa Silver line. Note it also uses a combo valve of which there is an excellent pic.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2430409/1

I cut mine up yesterday, had a tooth pulled today so I haven't done much. Anyways, should I just post to you tube and add the link here? The 159 has 50 pleats

these are supposed to be good filters made by wix they are sold mostly to shops. we are trying these next or maybe the better one by wix im not sure. My distributor is now stocking wix as his name brand jobber oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back