Prestone yellow bottle considered green or yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 F150 Supercrew says I can use Fords green or yellow Antifreeze.
The overfill tank looked dark green to me(kinda dirty with 32,000 miles), so I bought the Prestone yellow bottle, and when I drained and refilled, The Prestone looked more Bright Yellow than green. Did I screw up and mix a little green and yellow, or is it ok, just newer and a brighter color.
BTW, I drained old, filled with Prestone, ran engine and heater, drained and refilled again with Prestone

Should I drain and refill again, or will it be ok like this?

[ June 02, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: rbraughn ]

The Prestone in the yellow jug is green (unless they made some very recent changes)

The Yellow product that ford currently uses is the same as Zerex G-05 and in my opinion a better product than the Prestone. According to Zerex, the G-05 formulation is compatible with conventional green antifreeze and even with Dex-Cool or equivalent formulation.

The wording of your post leads me to believe that you may have filled your cooling system with straight undiluted right from the bottle antifreeze. All antifreeze is designed to work with water and 50 percent distilled water/antifreeze mixture is most often rccommended. Running straight antifreeze can wreck your engine. A lot of old timers used straight antifreeze in their jalopys and swear by it but they were WRONG WRONG WRONG!

If your using a 50/50 solution of prestone, it's perfectly OK. I wouldn't leave it in more than two or three years.

The Prestone in the yellow jug is green (unless they made some very recent changes)

The Yellow product that ford currently uses is the same as Zerex G-05 and in my opinion a better product than the Prestone. According to Zerex, the G-05 formulation is compatible with conventional green antifreeze and even with Dex-Cool or equivalent formulation.

The wording of your post leads me to believe that you may have filled your cooling system with straight undiluted right from the bottle antifreeze. All antifreeze is designed to work with water and 50 percent distilled water/antifreeze mixture is most often rccommended. Running straight antifreeze can wreck your engine. A lot of old timers used straight antifreeze in their jalopys and swear by it but they were WRONG WRONG WRONG!

If your using a 50/50 solution of prestone, it's perfectly OK. I wouldn't leave it in more than two or three years.

I have always found prestone to look much more yellow than other "green" anti-freeze. The stuff in the yellow jug should be the right stuff to use, but it is much more yellow than Zerex or Peak.

If it is the new "yellow" coolant, the specs on the bottle would indicate this. If it is plain old Prestone, you are OK. (I hope I am right, because I am using this in my 1995 Ford speced for green, and I had the same worry).

The color of regular prestone can appear green or yellow depending on whether you look at it or through it. It is considred to be a green product ,however. The yellow products from Ford or Zerex (G-05) are a very pale yellow and are close to being clear. Not as pretty but it is a better product.

Thanks for your replies.

Ed,

No, I used a 50/50 mix with Distilled water.
I'm so anal, I even weighed two half filled Jugs of straight antifreeze to make sure it was exactly a half gallon before I put the water in
shocked.gif

So, since my manual states I can use both yellow or Green, Would yall suggest I switch over to the yellow? Is there any benefit other than extended drain intervals?

I have a 2003 E-250 that came with Ford YELLOW from the factory.

The way I see it, I want an anti-freeze that is readily available at low prices anywhere in the US. Walmart does not carry Zerex G-05 in MI or NJ or the 1 super walmart in PA that I stopped by off I-80.

Almost every store that carries car products DOES carry Prestone Green - that meets my 1st major requirement.

I plan to change out the coolant every 12 months for extra insurance. Rusted out radiators and heater cores are not my idea of fun.

Ford Yellow looks like **** , and Prestone Green looks like you added green tint to **** . Does that help much?

grin.gif

Texaco and Peak look a LOT more green (like a thick opaque green almost) whereas Prestone Green looks like a transluscent yellow/green deal.

The G-05 has got to be more expensive than regular green and I cannot find it anywhere in stores.

They haven't been proven to last 5 years (only used in OE Fords for the past couple of years) so I'm not going to be their guinea pig.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I cannot find it anywhere in stores.

They haven't been proven to last 5 years (only used in OE Fords for the past couple of years) so I'm not going to be their guinea pig.

The technology is coming from Europe. Been in service there longer. It's based on the German BASF product Glysantin G-05, in use in European Mercedes-Benz vehicles since the late 80s.

Yes. It's not readily available. I get it at O'Reilly auto parts. I haven't seen it at the other chains, or at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back