Prestone synthetic DOT 3 brakefluid at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pickup some brake cleaner and fluid last night in preparation for replacing my front pads this morning and ran across this stuff. I don't recall their DOT 3 fluid being marketed as a synthetic on past visits. It has a new label and states 284F wet boiling point, 470F dry boiling point. Anyone else notice this stuff.

I threw the pads on this morning, just in time, the wear indicators were just about to contact the rotors. It appears 45K miles is about all I can hope for with mostly city driving using Honda's OEM pads. The last 2 replacements were done right at this point. I should be good now to 200K.

I'm going to change the fluid out this upcoming weekend. Anyone else using this stuff out there? Is the Valvoline Synpower much better than this new product from Prestone?

It's just a marketing gimmick. All brake fluid is "synthetic." It should read something like this:

WOW! NEW AND IMPROVED LABEL! SAME GREAT PRODUCT!

These glycols do not occur naturally. They have to be synthesized. Buy on DOT number and price. If you want greater protection against boiling under hard use, DOT4 and DOT5.1 can be safely substituted in any system for which DOT3 is specified. That's NOT true for DOT5, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back