Prestone Long-Life with Cor-Guard in Dex-Cool Applicatio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I'm about due to flush the system in my 98 S-10 ZR2. All original cooling system (except lower intake manifold gasket replaced), running Dex since new.

Ive seen the Prestone white papers, and seen some of the application notes. It seems like the cor-guard may be a superior product, and in this application, I'm not terribly concerned about the 2-eha since I did the gasket and it's a known quantity and set of caveats in my old-school system.

Application notes indicate that unlike some other coolants, a chemical flush is not necessary going from dexcool to corguard or vice versa for full performance (at least my interpretation).

So, is there reason not to go with the yellow/orange cor-guard product over licensed Dex-cool? Seems like the car-guard stuff is a Dex clone anyway, but with some potentially higher performing additives.

I'm all for the ain't broke don't fix it concept, but just want to think this through...

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JHZR2
So, is there reason not to go with the yellow/orange cor-guard product over licensed Dex-cool?

Prestone is the reason I wouldn't use it. They lost my trust long ago. That's just me though.

Originally Posted by Warstud
So, is there reason not to go with the yellow/orange cor-guard product over licensed Dex-cool?

Prestone is the reason I wouldn't use it. They lost my trust long ago. That's just me though.

Why is that?

Prestone Long Life with Cor-Guard. Mixed at approx 60/40 coolant/water.
" Guaranteed for all vehicles" I use it in my Ford Taurus.

0BC6A353-09F2-4C3C-AD4D-D01D5C667C55.jpeg

C814F523-215A-4FC8-ACC8-A5EB1BCA5CB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I have confidence in Dex cool, Ive been running it in one of the least favorable designs (diagonal radiator filler neck and non pressurized overflow) since I bought my truck new.

Question is if something else is better... and worth running at this point.

All those pics mean nothing. You can mix any brand of coolant in those proportions and get the same results with your three dollar tester. Same with your 5 year sample. I have used the "old green" coolant for longer than five years and it is clear also, still meaningless. Doesn't show what is happening inside the engine.

Apparently Prestone's new 'Corguard' is a phosphated OAT with 2-EHA (the addition of phosphates basically being the difference over regular Dexcool).

Years ago the European car makers did not like phosphates because of the 'hardness' of European water....they did however approve of silicates which wore out water pump seals if used in higher concentrations.

The Japanese makers like phosphates but did not approve of silicates or 2-EHA.

From what I've read...Prestone has sold Ford and other OE's on the goodness of their Corguard formula and the 'Ford Fusion' test that I read on BITOG about a month ago seems to verify Prestone's claims. It also showed that 'Corguard' extends the useable life of the coolant.

So, because of this, I would use the Prestone Corguard without concern and consider it an upgrade.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Hey Lubener. With five year coolant that clear, the engine is fine. In fact, that engine currently has 180,000 miles. No problems. You don't like my tester?
laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with your tester, just do not know what point you are trying to get across. Any coolant is going to show that level on your little tester with a 60/40 mix no matter the brand or the age of the coolant.

Last edited:

Why is that?

It's because of there AMAM coolants that are known to be low on inhibitors. Nothing wrong with there Dexcool tho. I would stick with Dexcool if I were you.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Hey Lubener. With five year coolant that clear, the engine is fine. In fact, that engine currently has 180,000 miles. No problems. You don't like my tester?
laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with your tester, just do not know what point you are trying to get across. Any coolant is going to show that level on your little tester with a 60/40 mix no matter the brand or the age of the coolant.

Showing the product line the OP described. Do you have a big tester?
laugh.gif

It's because of there AMAM coolants that are known to be low on inhibitors. Nothing wrong with there Dexcool tho. I would stick with Dexcool if I were you.

Known by who? Do we have a coolant analysis that says this, and are we sure one isn't replaced with something else?

Originally Posted by pbm
Apparently Prestone's new 'Corguard' is a phosphated OAT with 2-EHA (the addition of phosphates basically being the difference over regular Dexcool).

Years ago the European car makers did not like phosphates because of the 'hardness' of European water....they did however approve of silicates which wore out water pump seals if used in higher concentrations.

The Japanese makers like phosphates but did not approve of silicates or 2-EHA.

From what I've read...Prestone has sold Ford and other OE's on the goodness of their Corguard formula and the 'Ford Fusion' test that I read on BITOG about a month ago seems to verify Prestone's claims. It also showed that 'Corguard' extends the useable life of the coolant.

So, because of this, I would use the Prestone Corguard without concern and consider it an upgrade.

Right, so it's a Dex-clone with phosphates. I'm not seeing the downside if it's an application that I'm OK with 2-eha, silicate free OAT. An upgrade is kind of my perspective too...

I'm not seeing the downside unless there is indeed less overall inhibitor in it. But that seems contrary to the data on the cor guard product.

The other wild card is that I have an old school iron engine, my 4.3 isn't one of the new ones... so any issues there?

As long as the IMGs are replaced with the new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus ones and the radiator cap was swapped out to one of the Stant models recommended by MACS, I don't see why not.

If anything, the P component in Prestone Cor-Guard will be good for the system and work in synergy with the organic acid components to protect the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back