Prestone AMAM in a caravan

Hi everyone
This is our first Chrysler product.
I am wondering if the new all makes by Prestone is ok to use in a 2016 dodge caravan.
It has some purple stuff in there now. The manual says to use a OAT Mopar coolant.

I have used prestone in a lot of other cars before, but never had a FCA product.

I was thinking of doing a full flush or just drain and fill every week.

Of course Prestone says it's OK, thought I would ask around.

Thanks

Do not use AMAM it is low on corrosion inhibitors.....that's why you can use it in anything. I want to say use Dexcool but wait until Sayjac chimes in or PM him.

prestone AMAM is what ended up becoming ford’s dexcool replacement product. it is designed with an up to 10 year service life in mind

mopar’s purple coolant (Paraflu UP) is an oddball and not known to play well with their previous coolant (G05). i would mix it with prestone and sleep well but if you’re second guessing it use the mopar coolant

Do not use AMAM it is low on corrosion inhibitors.....that's why you can use it in anything. I want to say use Dexcool but wait until Sayjac chimes in or PM him.
And that’s why it’s a 10 year coolant?

99A16384-0BF1-4CF1-BC13-34B8EE8BA3D8.png

Last edited:
Dex-clone yes, it’s a single organic acid without a silicate or phosphate to augment it. There is still a triazole to protect yellow metal and something in it to protect solder. There are rumors of AMAM having less 2-EHA and decanoic acid than Dex-Cool not to infringe on GM’s license.

Prestone is a pHOAT like a Japanese coolant, just using 2-EHA and sodium neodecanoate as the organic acids.

Dex-clone yes, it’s a single organic acid without a silicate or phosphate to augment it. There is still a triazole to protect yellow metal and something in it to protect solder. There are rumors of AMAM having less 2-EHA and decanoic acid than Dex-Cool not to infringe on GM’s license.

Prestone is a pHOAT like a Japanese coolant, just using 2-EHA and sodium neodecanoate as the organic acids.
So, would it be ok in a Dodge Caravan?

So, would it be ok in a Dodge Caravan?
If you do a full drain, flush with DI/distilled water and fill, sure. The two OAT coolants FCA/Stellantis uses are a different beast than what’s in the aftermarket.

They used to be believers in G-05 from the Daimler merger, but switched over to a Petronas(European fill) or CCI(US/Canadian and service fill at a dealership) and even put out a TSB not to mix the older orange and new purple/pink coolants together.

Back