Pressure washer psi/gpm question

For gas you have residential level near-Trash usually vertical hose hookup on the bottom.

Next level is 2.5gpm and non triplex. Axial pumps with side water hookup
2.5GPM with triplex pump that dont clean any faster but do last longer.. $479(sale)-650

and 3GPM+ with triplex pump that are fast and last.

I have yet to wear out a pump and my current "CAT" brand from home depot with axial pump will probably last 10 years. $229(iirc)

For washing cars I'd pickup a decent ~$100 electric pressure washer.

If you plan on doing it for business or lots of concrete.. or envision using it for 8 hours a day often you will want 3.5GPM+ it will go twice as fast and time is money.
A nice metal surface cleaner with handles(hooked to a pressure washer with sufficient capacity) will also double or triple speed on concrete.

If I needed a cheapie today Sam's club had decent grade "2.5GPM" axial pump models on clearance around $250

Hi guys - going to be keeping my eyes open for a pressure washer before spring and was wondering if there is an "ideal" combination of psi and gpm? I remember one or two members here opining that (IIRC) somewhere around 2.5gpm and 2500psi gave the best results.. Any additional thoughts and/or input on this?
Sorry if I missed it, but what's the majority of the use for the unit?

If it's automotive cleaning, etc, an electric under 2gpm unit will be fine IMO. Electrics are nice because they make no noise when you're not on the trigger. Gas powered is loud 100% of the time.

If you need more capacity for your needs, a gas model close to 3gpm can be had for under $300.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcs
IMO, flow is more important than pressure.

Look for a CAT triplex pump and GX series motor. Like these.

AR triplex pumps are decent too.

Nice. Didn’t know Simpson made more commercial grade units.

Looks like a better buy than the Northern Tool line which are essentially the same combinations of engine and pump.

My in laws bought us this a few christmases ago. I really like it. Can’t beat the price either. No idea on long term reliability though and sadly the pump oil isn’t serviceable. I use it for cleaning vehicles and my tractors.

If you don’t mind spending a little more get one with a red and white Honda and Cat pump.
102EAFA3-EA08-4F25-96A0-3F94039547E2.jpg

Don;t go over the pumps limit a garden hose has a limit on gals per minute if you need more gals per minute you need a water tank with a flout to keep the water level up. I v'e been cleaning over 30 yrs and I use the correct chemical prior to pressure cleaning makes the job better and easier. jz

Typical homeowner stuff - wash the house, cars and ope mainly.
I am sure you already know Eric to not use higher than 1600 psi on your car, and watch the nozzle you use or you will destroy the paint.

I am sure you already know Eric to not use higher than 1600 psi on your car, and watch the nozzle you use or you will destroy the paint.
No I didn't? I've used other washers at 2500psi with the yellow tip at a distance with no problems that I'm aware of. Of course doing something over and over again the wrong way without problems doesn't mean that it's right/okay...

Reactions: rcs
Compressing the water and delivering the flow requires a certain amount of work. The larger the horsepower the more pressure and flow you get. There are slight differences between units of the same horsepower but it is not huge. All the low end pumps on a vertical shaft motor (lawnmower engine) are about the same. Horizontal shaft units tend to be higher horsepower for a little more money. The higher the horsepower the faster it will clean. Consumer grade units if well taken care of will last many years under homeowner use. They will not hold up under commercial use. In general the pump will need replaced before the engine quits if you change/check the oil once and a while. You can get new pumps, if you change it yourself then can be worth it, but if you have to pay someone to change it you probably should just get a new unit and sell the old one. Commercial units where the oil can be changed in the pump will run more hours, when you need a pump rebuild kits are more available and they are generally worth repairs

If you are only going to clean your concrete and siding once a year and wash cars then a horizontal unit shaft engine homeowner unit will be sufficient. When you are ready to put it away, turn off the fuel and run the gas out of the motor. Take off the hoses and train them With ignition off and all hoses off pull it thru a few times to get excess water out of the pump. I try to drain the carb bowl and tank before storing. I have many trouble free years on my washer and generator.

Back