Pressure washer psi/gpm question

Hi guys - going to be keeping my eyes open for a pressure washer before spring and was wondering if there is an "ideal" combination of psi and gpm? I remember one or two members here opining that (IIRC) somewhere around 2.5gpm and 2500psi gave the best results.. Any additional thoughts and/or input on this?

I had an Excell pressure washer that I bought new at Home Depot about 20 years ago. It was the least expensive gas-powered model I could find. It had a 6hp B&S engine and I believe the rating was 2,300 PSI and 2.4 GPM. It worked great for many years for use around the home, cleaning a wooden deck, BBQ grill, etc. For home/occasional use, one with a similar rating should work well for you. For commercial/heavy duty use I would suggest a bigger one.

GPM is king. I have personally been very satisfied with the 3.5 gpm/3800 psi combo on my pressure washer.

GPM is king. I have personally been very satisfied with the 3.5 gpm/3800 psi combo on my pressure washer.
YEP! I have a 4,000psi/4.0GPM one myself.

Also have this one I bought used.

Holy buckets! No way am I spending 2 grand on a pressure washer, but thank you for the recommendation

be careful most are rated in junk method to inflate numbers.
such as:
up to 3100psi and upto 2.5gpm.

so if you use 0 degree it might be 3100psi but not 2.5gpm

or if you use the 40degree fan it might be 1500psi and 2.5gpm.

etc. Very few are rated intelligently such as [email protected].

At least until you get to commercial level gear.

Had a pressure washing biz for about 16yrs. Like others said think of GpM as speed or efficiency. 3 or more is ideal, less is annoying. It will work but will take forever. Psi is just a selling point. 3000 or 4000 psi won't matter near as much as 2gpm vs 4gpm

Best thing I ever did was switch from BIG B&S to Honda gx390. I don't miss pulling the B&S repeatedly on cold mornings. Once it started it worked fine all day but it was not a fan of cold weather.

be careful most are rated in junk method to inflate numbers.

Mine is actually under rated. I put a pressure gauge on it and a flow meter in the hose. It actually does 4.2GPM @4,400 psi with the OEM 4.0 nozzle. I use a huge 7.0 40° tip for general cleaning to lower the pressure while keeping GPM high. Still produces ~2,000 psi pressure though.

Holy buckets! No way am I spending 2 grand on a pressure washer, but thank you for the recommendation

You can find decent direct drive models for much less. I wanted a belt driven one. Spins the pump much slower resulting is less wear and heat.

It seems like the average consumer units either have lots of pressure and low gpm or more gpm but less pressure... Is there a unit that will cover both bases?

IMO, flow is more important than pressure.
It seems like the average consumer units either have lots of pressure and low gpm or more gpm but less pressure... Is there a unit that will cover both bases?

Look for a CAT triplex pump and GX series motor. Like these.

AR triplex pumps are decent too.

Typical homeowner stuff - wash the house, cars and ope mainly.
4620C117-F5C5-4A17-BA16-EE6B444D338C.jpeg

I have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...NDA-GX270-Engine-49-State-DXPW60604/304521471

Very happy with it. 3.5gpm and 3800 psi. Honda engine with CAT pump.

View attachment 133027
I have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...NDA-GX270-Engine-49-State-DXPW60604/304521471

Very happy with it. 3.5gpm and 3800 psi. Honda engine with CAT pump.
For the needs of the OP this would be excellent all around use unit. I have very similar unit with 6.5 HondaGX with CAT pump and use it for concrete cleaning with 0 or 15 degree tip barn cleaning it works it A$$ off year after year but just keeps on going. With all concrete work I would move up to this unit or larger If I had a failure with my current unit.

With what you want out of a power washer you will never exceed this units capability but I would highly recommend this build HondaGX and CAT pumps.

OP, what's the budget? I have a Simpson with a consumer Honda engine (GV190) that has been plenty for my needs, which are exactly what you mentioned. I actually just bought an electric for the cars as the Simpson was overkill for that duty. My unit is under $500 which is going to still be a few hundred cheaper than a comparable unit with the GX engine.

Back